Sign in to follow this  

boot break-in procedure

Here's the method I use-and I wear a pair of 99 Fox Forma Pros that still look new- :ride:

1.Clean boots thouroughly-scrub brush clean.

2.Preheat and ELECTRIC-NOT GAS-oven 150-175F

3.Send the Mrs shopping.

4.Warm boots in oven with door opened to first notch(about 2-3 inches open)

5.Remove boots when warm to the touch (about as warm as fresh toast)

6.Rub in Sno Seal,

http://www.atsko.com/snoseal.html

it's pure beeswax, until the boots will soak up no more-it'll be just like buttering toast. Do not use mink oil and animal fats as they contain acids that eventually cause the leathers and stitching to rot.

7.Place boots back in oven and repeat until boots will no longer take on sno seal.

8.Place boots on feet and wear until cool. Instant Break in, no blisters! And now they are thouroughly waterproof too!:thumbsup:

Repeat annually, or as needed to prevent drying and cracking of the leather.

I've heard the BS water method, if its so great, why don't folks throw suede in the washer? Cuz water STIFFENS leather and makes it into rawhide. Those that are going to freak out about putting your boots in the oven, reread step 3, and the oven gets no hotter than the interior of your car on a hot day, and much cooler than your exhaust pipe.

just fill them with water christ that is alot of work for a pair of boots.

Yup, fill em with water-they only cost between $200 and $500 dollars-mere bag of shells, eh? What amazes me is someone will shell out hundreds of dollars for boots, then whine about 30 min of work to protect their investment.

First i wear them around the house for a few hours, then on the first ride all i do is drag my boots through the first couple of water crossings. Done

I put new boots on, then go jump in my pool and wear em around till dry. I've been through at least a dozen pairs of boots with the same BIP, no problems yet.

I put new boots on, then go jump in my pool and wear em around till dry. I've been through at least a dozen pairs of boots with the same BIP, no problems yet.

That doesn't support your method is a good way to go unless you've been riding for 50 years... LOL I won't tear up a a dozen pairs of boots in my lifetime !

Who breaks in mx boots? I take them out of the box, put them on my feet, and ride.

More than 12 pairs? I've been riding on the same boots for 7 years and they still look and feel great. I use the same Sno-Seal procedure for my work boots and they"re 5 years old, but the grease/oil/diesel impact on the soles making them soft may force me to purchase a new pair soon.

Like I said, do what you want, but after going through over 12 pairs of boots, I'd rethink my leather care procedures. 12 pairs should go at least 36 years of use, if not closer to 60 years.

I orginally used this Sno Seal procedure on my work boots to keep the tootsies dry, and adopted it for my riding boots-wet cold feet will make any ride miserable.

i just wear mine around the house for a couple days...my first pair of boots are about 8 years old, the leather on them is fine just the buckels and stuff are snapped and whatnot

Well my boots are 10 years old and have NO Sno Snot... LOL I BUY quality leather... wear them... and clean the mud off them about once every 3 years... I resole them when they wear out... END of story...

Well my boots are 10 years old and have NO Sno Snot... LOL I BUY quality leather... wear them... and clean the mud off them about once every 3 years... I resole them when they wear out... END of story...

Yeah, but you probably ride a little drier conditions than me. Any day that it aint raining and the trails are dry is heaven sent in OR!

Break in? I just walk around till i can shift comfortable with them.

With my last pair i just put them on and went riding.

No break in at all.

That's funny... we are just the opposite... any day it rains we are loading the bikes to go experience DIRT that isn't just a cloud of dust... LOLOLOLOL

just wear them around the house. get them all streched out andn get used to the way that they feel. then ride a little. GOOD LUCK!

You guys have it all wrong. First you have to put on the boots and slowly walk around the house for 5 min. Then take them off and let them cool down completely. Do this 3 times. Then, put them on and walk around until they are fully up to operating temp...only then can you begin to go full speed in your new boots. It's all about the heat cycles people... :thumbsup:

You guys have it all wrong. First you have to put on the boots and slowly walk around the house for 5 min. Then take them off and let them cool down completely. Do this 3 times. Then, put them on and walk around until they are fully up to operating temp...only then can you begin to go full speed in your new boots. It's all about the heat cycles people... :thumbsup:

Yeah! You want them to seal properly or you`ll need a new top boot "pronto". (That means fast)

Also make sure that you always vary your walking around pace, never stay at the same pace and specially dont stand still thats bad for the break in specially the low boot break in.

BTW... i never wear stock boot i always upgrade to buckles and/or straps that match my powerband colors. I heard from devilrider and from crkid that matching colored gear, boots and powerbands gave you like a 5hp advantage. :ride: