Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade from an XR400R to ?????????

I am interested in upgrading from my XR400R. I am not quite sure if it should be a WR450 or CRF450X. I primarily ride trails and dont like having to slip the clutch to keep it in the power on a gnarly trail. Torque and maintence friendly are the primary concerns here. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Both of the bikes you have mentioned (and there is also the KTM 400 or 450) have reputations for excellent durability ad reliability, although they will still require more maintenance than your XR. And the difference in performance is enormous. You would be going from a 28hp bike to a 45hp bike, with vastly better suspension.

Does it have to be a four-stroke? If not, then consider a KTM 250 or 300. They are both torquey, reliable, and super-lightweight when compared to your XR.

Yes, I am prety stuck on 4 strokes. I also use it for hauling deer out of the woods, etc.... I have riden the CRF and love the midrange but not impressed with the bottom end. I need to ride the WR but havent gotten to yet. I want to keep it to either the WR or CRF due in large part to parts availability and plentiful shops. I am not interested in the DRZ nor the Kawasaki. I do apreciate your opinion though, and thank you.

I primarily ride trails and dont like having to slip the clutch to keep it in the power on a gnarly trail. Torque and maintence friendly are the primary concerns here.

I don't know of ANY bike that has the low end torque and traction of the xr400 in nasty tight technical trails unless it might be the xr600 or a trials bike.

I still ride mine in Colorado on occasion because of this endearing characteristic.

Like Chokey noted, the KTM 300 might be a good choice for you. Decent bottom end torque and will really rip when you want.

Yes, I am prety stuck on 4 strokes. I also use it for hauling deer out of the woods, etc.... I have riden the CRF and love the midrange but not impressed with the bottom end. I need to ride the WR but havent gotten to yet. I want to keep it to either the WR or CRF due in large part to parts availability and plentiful shops. I am not interested in the DRZ nor the Kawasaki. I do apreciate your opinion though, and thank you.

I haven't ridden a WR but I can tell you this. In regards to the disappointing bottom end torque on the CRF-X.......once you jet it correctly and open the airbox...the bike wakes up....big time. That's all it takes....$65 bucks and 1 hour of your time.

That's my .02 :thumbsup:

I'm biased towards KTM for a woods bike. It's hard to beat the wide ratio 6 speed of the EXC line. You have a tractor low gear and a sixth that lets you fly on straights. The maintenance is a snap with an easy to access air filter, easy valve adjustment and no rear shock linkage to have to maintain. The only maintenance item that some people complain about is the oil change that requires replacement of two oil filters and cleaning of two screens. I don't find this any big deal and like the idea that the motor is so well protected.

I am interested in upgrading from my XR400R. I am not quite sure if it should be a WR450 or CRF450X. I primarily ride trails and dont like having to slip the clutch to keep it in the power on a gnarly trail. Torque and maintence friendly are the primary concerns here. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

What don't you like about the xr400? kickstart? old? suspension? Other?

It is a 96 and a little long in the tooth. Good bike but would like a bit more power. I will have to look a little harder at the KTM.

Please let us know what you get and how you like it!

The XR400 motor is built for putting out torque. Have you dropped a tooth on the front sprocket to a 14?

The KTM400 would probably be the next step.

If you want a 2-stroke the KTM 300EXC is much lighter.

It is a 96 and a little long in the tooth. Good bike but would like a bit more power. I will have to look a little harder at the KTM.

How about getting a 440 kit for your XR?

I am interested in upgrading from my XR400R. I am not quite sure if it should be a WR450 or CRF450X. I primarily ride trails and dont like having to slip the clutch to keep it in the power on a gnarly trail. Torque and maintence friendly are the primary concerns here. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. :ride:

I upgraded from the xr400 to the ktm 450xc. I would recommend this swap to anyone. :thumbsup:

I upgraded from the xr400 to the ktm 450xc. I would recommend this swap to anyone. :thumbsup:

So how does the low end torque compare?

I made the exact same switch that you are talking about. I had a 96 XR400 and now have an '03 crf450r. I'm probably riding some of the same trails that you are.

Here's my .02. I love my Honda, the power, forgiveness, suspension (especially compared to the tank xr400). However, I am currently in the process of tweaking my bike to give me a little more trail riding low end. I am constantly feathering the clutch in the tight stuff.

I am messing with the sprockets, I just received (not installed yet) a heavier flywheel to help with stalls, etc.

I agree with others about checking out the KTM's for your type of riding (and hunting). If you're sold on red or blue, atleast consider getting a 450x with the wider gear ratio. My riding buddy rides an x and he never has any problems with the gearing not being low enough.

Good luck.

CRF/X-WR-EXC or wait another year or two and you can add RMZ/X- & KXF/X to the picture. Any of which will feel light years better than your XR. I'm a Honda guy so guess what my recommendation would be??

I have thought about the 440 kit and am concerned about reliability. I appreciate all the comments and things to think about.

I have thought about the 440 kit and am concerned about reliability. I appreciate all the comments and things to think about.

The motor isn't the problem. The XR 400 makes very decent and usable power. The problem is that it doesn't turn worth a crap! And,, when you put that 440 kit on it, it's only gonna make it turn even worse! You'll be sooo much happier with a new, more moto like off-road bike. It's something to think about??? Good luck to ya..... :thumbsup:

I upgraded from an XR600 to a WR450 and you can't believe the difference in every important category. The bikes aren't even on the same planet.

I liked my XR, don't get me wrong, but once you swing a leg over a modern 450, you'll be glad you made the move up. I chose a WR450 even though I really liked the CRFX; the price was way less for a used one and I like Yamaha's anyway.

I've had mine for most of this riding season and it hasn't cost me a nickel except for the usual disposable things like tires.

You won't go wrong with either the WR or CRFX-- enjoy and let us know how it worked out for you!

Cheers-

Neil.