Sign in to follow this  

Rode a 250X yesterday

Wow, what a totally different bike.

250 seemed powerless but was fast just the same, just had no torque hit like the 450. The two things that I am extremely envious of was the way the bike feels. To me the 250 had the feel as if it were a 100 pounds lighter. The other was the suspension, I think the valving is more closely matched to my weight vs. the 450, even though the 250 had 450 springs I felt more confident in it's handling ability.

Another thing I was surprised at was how soft the clutch pull is. 250 had OEM setup and even with my hydraulic the 250 was way easier to pull.

No I'm not buying a 250, but I definitely need to improve the way my bike handles.

Thanks for the comparo...... :thumbsup: I've always wondered what a 250 was like. I've never had the chance to ride one, and always think back and wonder if I should have gone that route instead. Especially after getting my son his CR85. That little bastid is fast :cry: . I'm happy with my 450, but there's always that nagging feeling in the back of my mind.....what if?........

My only gripe is the weight...but I'm trying to do my part to loose weight around MY waistline :ride: ...rather than spending $$$$ in lightening the bike.

Thanks for the comparo...... :thumbsup: I've always wondered what a 250 was like. I've never had the chance to ride one, and always think back and wonder if I should have gone that route instead. Especially after getting my son his CR85. That little bastid is fast :cry: . I'm happy with my 450, but there's always that nagging feeling in the back of my mind.....what if?........

My only gripe is the weight...but I'm trying to do my part to loose weight around MY waistline :ride: ...rather than spending $$$$ in lightening the bike.

After riding the two I can defiantly say that the weight issue adds up to a lot more than there static weight difference. The rotating weight must also creating a huge difference. That 250 was like riding a BMX bike coming off the 450.

yup. nice comparison.

only thing i wish to change on my 250X is to have a little more of that raw torque that our 450R has.

i think with a 302/307 big bore, cam, the right gearing, that the 250X or in my case 302 or 307X is the best bike ever built.

:thumbsup: i hate the 450R though, only thing good is the power. i say this because its a race bike, and i ride only trails. im sure it kicks some ass on a track.

isnt it nearly impossiable to shave weigh off the 450X though? any plans on how your gonna do it?

The 250X is definately a fine bike, but really only shines in tight going. Anything other than that and most other bikes with outperform it. For example, I recently went out with a 250X owner where the riding was on a mix of fire-trails and 4WD tracks. My 96-XR400R not only kept up with the X in all respects, but in straight line drags it actually pulled away. Needless to say, Mr 250X was more than a little frustrated with his state-of-the-art twofiddy being outdone by my dinosoar and is now looking to upgrade to a 450X. Go the ForFiddy!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, what a totally different bike.

250 seemed powerless but was fast just the same, just had no torque hit like the 450. The two things that I am extremely envious of was the way the bike feels. To me the 250 had the feel as if it were a 100 pounds lighter. The other was the suspension, I think the valving is more closely matched to my weight vs. the 450, even though the 250 had 450 springs I felt more confident in it's handling ability.

Another thing I was surprised at was how soft the clutch pull is. 250 had OEM setup and even with my hydraulic the 250 was way easier to pull.

No I'm not buying a 250, but I definitely need to improve the way my bike handles.

Good comparison.

I rode my freinds 250x from stock to modified, and it is always a more agile feeling bike. By the time he sold it (health reasons) he had done full esp suspension, 285cc kit, DR D pipe, etc, etc. While it was a gas to ride for about 20 minutes, I found myself really missing the power once I started really riding, and not just screwing around. Sand washes required too much work, hills were a pain, and rutted uphills? Sheez...

Back on the 450x and yes, it feels immediatly heavier...and way more stable, way faster on all kinds of terrain, easier to ride, etc etc.

The 250 even fully modified is no where near enough power for areas where you have trouble keeping it at 10,000 rpms (single track, rough trials).

You can't have it both ways, I prefer the path I took, now having tried the other many, many times.