Sign in to follow this  

Bike choice??

I thought I wanted a wr250F, but after trying to sit on one ( a 2003) in the showroom I am not so sure.

This will be my "coming back to trail riding", it's been about 30 years since, now it's time to ride with my two boys.

I always liked the four stroke Yahamas and thought the wr was a better choice over the yz, but that sucker is tall. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam, I can't touch the ground. Is this going to be a problem when riding and when I need to dab? Should I drop my search for a good priced wr and look into a lower bike like the KTM or Hondas? I want something scary fast, but not 2 stroke loud.

Thanks for any input you guys (or girls have).

i love my wr. i'm 5'7" and have no problem riding. seat height is adjustable.

my 05 is a little lower than a 03. i can touch my toes down(on one side), lean over a little bit to get better footing. after it is broken in the rear shock will sag a little. you can adjust the rear spring preload for more sag, cut some foam from the seat (1"-1 1/2"). any suspension shop can shorten the suspension and re-valve it, it would ride a lot nicer this way.

I want something scary fast, but not 2 stroke loud.

In most cases, four-strokes are louder than two-strokes. A KTM200 EXC is as quiet as a de-restricted WR250F (you can't even ride a WR with the stock exhaust and throttle restrictors in place), and will run and hide from it in terms of performance. And if you want YZ-F performance out of your WR, you have to install a free-flowing exhaust, and say bye-bye to the quiet stock exhaust note.

Even A KDX200 is quite competitive with a WR250F, and is probably a much friendlier mount for someone that's been away from the sport as long as you have. And it's probably the quietest offroad bike on the market.

The WR's suspension will break in and settle after a few hundred miles. Also, if you like the WR, the suspension can be lowered by putting in an aftermarket dogbone in the back and raising the forks in the triple clamps up front. If you want even more it's possible, but best done by a suspension shop.

bp

In the noise department, Just pick up the yamaha insert. I have one for my 01 WR. It's 94 decibels. That's with the stock pipe, and the grey wire cut. But i know what you mean for the tallness of the bike. I was riding mine when i could barely touch the ground on it. But way to fix that. Set the suspension to you, if that doesn't help much, i just saw this in the latest dirt rider, but there is a part you can buy that will lower the seat height, if that doesn't work for you, mod the seat foam.

For lowering the height of the bike there are a few options, the easiest would be trimming the seat foam with an electric knife. There should be a few threads on here about that, if not Transworld Motocross did a how-to on their website not too long ago, I'm sure you could find it.