Sign in to follow this  

Pros & cons of lowere the suspension

I am ready to pull the trigger, but I dont want to pay to have it done , than pay to have it undone. I'm thinking about 1" in reduction. I'm 5"8" and I ride the typical new england trails, mostly blue - double black diamond type trails. As a self assessment I'm probably what you may consider a mid B rider.

Will I notice a significant change in the C of G?

Will I bottom a lot, I never bottom now.

Will the skid plate constantly have the rocks bashing it?

Will it effect the way I set the sag?

Any other considerations?

I lowered my suspension 1 1/2" and noticed good and bad things from it. I kick some things that others miss. My bash plate hits stuff that a stock height bike clears. I bottom out more often, but that might be due to a lousey job of compression valving by the guy who did mine. And you should run less race sag: the ideal number is the one that works best for you, but the formula is 1/3 of total travel, and you just reduced that travel number. So running less sag raises your seat back up a little. I like the lowered center of gravity in the deep sand washes and tight singletracks. I really like getting my toes down, rather than falling over. Have you read this post? It's pretty general, but it does list some other options.

Hi; Have you lowered your seat hight yet? I need to do the same thing on my 06 DRZ400 ES. how did it turn out and what did you do if anything ? Ok to e-mail me.....Joe

Hi; Have you lowered your seat hight yet? I need to do the same thing on my 06 DRZ400 ES. how did it turn out and what did you do if anything ? Ok to e-mail me.....Joe

No I decided not to do it. I sent my forks/shock to FC and I was asking them about it. They basically suggested i leave it alone. I guess problems develop from the change like having to do the same amount of damping in a shorter stroke, skid plate is now lower and hits more often...

Seat, I wont do that either. I did install a very soft foam which dose compress a little more therefor accomplishing the same thing. Guttsracing.com