Sign in to follow this  

Bike choice, need your help

I thought I wanted a wr250F, but after trying to sit on one ( a 2003) in the showroom I am not so sure.

This will be my "coming back to trail riding", it's been about 30 years since, now it's time to ride with my two boys.

I always liked the four stroke Yahamas and thought the wr was a better choice over the yz, but that sucker is tall. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam, I can't touch the ground. Is this going to be a problem when riding and when I need to dab? Should I drop my search for a good priced wr and look into a lower bike like the KTM or Hondas? I want something scary fast, but not 2 stroke loud.

Thanks for any input you guys (or girls have).

4 strokes, specifically performance models, are much, much louder than two strokes. I know when I ride my 250 with guys on CRF450X's I can hardly hear my own bike. 4 stroke sound carries much further too. Sure a 2 stroke seems louder up close, but once it's a mile away, it's like nothing.

So I guess I want the 4 stroke for the wide power band? Which one should I choose? I want scary fast!

I was out of the dirt from 1982 until about two months ago myself. I'm 5'10" but only have a 30" inseam as well. I just bought a '04 WR450 - and although it seems very tall when I first throw my leg over once I settle on to it it's OK. (High yes - but manageable.) If you search some threads over on the WR forum you'll find some instruction / advise about lowering the seat some if needed.

I can't speak firsthand about the other brands - like I said it's been a while for me since I had a dirt bike. Back in the day of course all I had were two strokes, but I LOVE the 4 stroke. The power range is some much more rider friendly, I couldn't see ever wanting a two stroke again. Since you want power you'll want to uncork whatever bike you get. Once again, the WR forum has a ton of good info about what to do about that. I'm sure the other forums do as well.

Good luck - have fun!

:thumbsup:

I dont know it depends on your riding skills :cry: !! If you know what you are doing on a bike and have some riding experinece i would say go with wr450f, because if u have riding experince and even though you didn't ride for a very long time, it will all come back to you very fast :thumbsup:!!! Like i said if yo got some good experince and get a 250f you will run out of power in about 2 months amd will want a 450 !!!! :ride:

Hope this helps :ride: