Sign in to follow this  

Flushing brake fluid

My brakes work fine, but I would like to freshen up the fluid. Do you think it's possible to crack the bleeder and keep topping off the res. until it's changed without introducing air into the system(I assume the fluid will flow without pumping the lever?) . I would like to avoid the air purging hassle(no syringe!).

My brakes work fine, but I would like to freshen up the fluid. Do you think it's possible to crack the bleeder and keep topping off the res. until it's changed without introducing air into the system(I assume the fluid will flow without pumping the lever?) . I would like to avoid the air purging hassle(no syringe!).

No,. it will not FLOW unless you pump the lever.

This is something most should do at least once a year. Just do not let the level in the reservoir get too low. Also.. What I do is suck all the old fluid out of the res, replace with fresh.. Then bleed/ pump a few res full through the lines. No bleeding of air will be needed as long as you squeeze the lever, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, let go of the lever.. in that order,, AND do not let the reservoir get too low.

I see, cool! As long as I can keep the air out! Thanks for the tip Bronco. :thumbsup:

Yeh, do go on! Do you have a link? Is easy bleed the brand name?

Easy bleed valves, thats what you need.

I can flush mine right through in about 2 minutes.

Neil. :thumbsup::cry::ride:

They work ok, as long as they are working. Most tend to suck air past the threads after they have been used once or twice.. You can band-aid that with some Teflon tape.. but it's a pain.. And I believe Russel has some sealant you can buy to "refresh the stuff that comes on their speed bleeders if you want to go that way. As I can reach both the lever and bleeder....on this bike I see no reason to use speed bleeders,, but to each his own :ride:

Thanks Bronco, I'll give it a try without the Russells! Thanks Neal, I always like to know about new(to me) gizmos! :thumbsup:

No worries,, Same type of product, by a different manufacture and name

Looks like the one's, glad I didn't pay that for them though, cost me £2.99 the pair.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

I use a Mityvac. Bought it at a local autoparts store for about $30. Here's a link:

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/asp/prodid.30447/TID./qx/product.htm

Use it on all my bikes and cars. Works like a champ. It connects to the bleeder screw and sucks the fluid into the pumps container. Keep pumping the Mityvac and filling your master cylinder until the fluid comes out clear. All the fluid is contained so you don't get brake fluid all over everything. Came with all kinds of attachments for different size bleeder screws.

WGW