Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change

Is there an oil change thread for the DRZ 400? I wanna change my oil. Never done it on a dirt bike before. Help would be appreciated.

Thousands of them I'm sure,, Just do a search.

Basics..

Warm oil drains better

DRZ is a dry sump system,, you have to drain the motor and oil tank. One plug on the bottom of the motor, one plug on the frame,down tube right behind the header.

Watch for the TWO o-rings in the filter area,, one on the cover, and a small one on the back side of the filter that seals the filter to the case.. no need to replace these unless damaged or lost.

Replace the filter, or use a cleanable SS filter with every oil change (opinion,, but a damm good one :ride: )

Complete drain and filter change,, refill with 2 qt's or Liters, oil of your choice. Please search before you ask which oil :thumbsup:

Lastly,, in the oil line at the frame down tube,, there is a screen inside and behind that brass fitting. Should be checked/cleaned once on every new bike, and after every time the motor has been opened up . It catches large parts, rag bits, ect..

Is there an oil change thread for the DRZ 400? I wanna change my oil. Never done it on a dirt bike before. Help would be appreciated.

Bring it on over and I'll walk you through it :thumbsup:

When you pull the oil filter you will see some lines on the cases. They aren't cracks. That is FAQ 3,457,128 :thumbsup:

Actually, it's number 16 :ride:

:cry:16: I found "cracks" in the motor case when I did my first oil change.. HELP>>>>>?

RELAX.... they are just casting marks... You will find them in the oil filter sump and just about any inside, non finished part of the case. They hurt nothing,,, and are just part of the casting process. :ride: