Sign in to follow this  

Carlton Area (OR)

Anyone ridden out that way? We're going to go check it out later on and see how it is.

I couldn't find/remember the site for trails, anyone have that?

From Carlton, go west on Meadowlake Road. It will turn into Nestucca Access. After the watershed and the top of the mountain, start looking for Bald Mtn Access Rd. Turn left onto Bald Mtn Access and there are two staging areas with 5 miles.

Is that really all there is now? I grew up close to where Panther Creek meets Meadow lake and I could ride from my house and probably go weeks straight without hitting the same trail twice. I know flying M is gone and I assume there is nothing on Von Road anymore. A few years back I did some mountian biking above Rainbow lodge and saw lots of fresh motorcycle tracks. I am curious if any of that is legal.

Pretty good riding up there... We went exactly where posted. We took 6 bikes and 4 quads. Def a lot of stuff was too hairy for me, but I guess that's how you learn. Those rocks and roots in trails are a killer for me right now.

Thanks again man.

There are 3 official staging areas up there. We rode out of the Quarry which is past Elk Flats, but not as far as Whipup. It isn't "marked", but someone had a big arrow marked on the road pointing the direction. Grassy Flats is the first of the three official staging areas. There are trail maps to be found, but are usually gone very quickly when put out. I believe you can find them online.

Thanks.....

I love this site.... instant response. :thumbs-up:

Glad you had fun. There is alot of riding area up there. lots and lots of trail from the three staging areas if you have a map. If you have a map you can string together quite good easy trail to technical riding for a whole weekend.

There now seem to be limited areas as the area above Rainbow Lodge (NW Baker Creek Road). Most of the action up there is mtn bikes, but the three staging areas connect all that area up there, so their is also probably dirt bikes coming through.

The NW Panther Creek jct area and Flying M are basically closed. The Flying M has been up for sale for a while now...I really wish a riding club or owner would step up and purchase it. They could hold MC events, have a staging area, etc up there and open up lots of extra OHV territory.

the area above Rainbow Lodge (NW Baker Creek Road).

That area is actually closed to OHVs despite the fact that use there continues.

Be aware that if you ride to the West or North of Rainbow Lake, you will be mostly on Weyerhaeuser land...and they are very ANTI-OHV. Elk Flat Rd. is the tie from the Rainbow Lake area (Baker Creek Rd.) to Elk Flats Staging Area and nearly all of it's 3.3 miles runs through Weyerhaeuser (or other private) land.

The east boundary of the Upper Nestucca OHV area is nearly always within a half mile of Bald Mountain Rd and the marked trails are all inside a half mile from the road. So forays down spur roads may take you on to private land also...be careful :cry:

If you draw a line north and south at the Flying M, Weyerhaeuser owns over 50% of the land west to the State Forest (City of McMinnville owns about 10 square miles for water supply and BLM has about 4 scattered in mostly 1/4 to 1/2 mile parcels). Even if the "M" was purchased by a riding club (and I wish it would...bring back the TRASK ISDE!! :thumbsup: ), it would be very tough if not impossible to connect the two lands. :ride:

On a related topic, we were told by some MT. Scott M\C members when we were at Grassy Flats Saturday that the whole area is "Closed" currently...One guy said they had a special permit to be there.

I checked the state parks website this morning and is says "Open", has anyone heard anything to substantiate the MT Scott guy's claim?

I heard you could ride to Hebo/Beaver area from where we were.... Not sure how far that'd be, but I heard of a guy who does it on a tank of gas. He eats lunch and fills up in town, then rides back.