Sign in to follow this  

JETTING - Looking for a Baseline

Hey guys, I have read all the jet tips and such. But what I am looking for

is a starting point for my daughters 2005 TTR125L.

All I am doing is installing the FMF PowerCore and opening airbox/jets.

I live in San Diego, and the bike gets riden from 1000 to 3500' sometimes Plaster City, sometimes McCain Valley. So if anyone has a baseline to start with, I would certainly appreciate it.

I will be taking off the snorkel, but do not intend to "cut" the box......yet.

:thumbsup::ride::cry::ride:

Personally, I'd probably start with the 17.5 pilot and the 110 main and 1 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw.

The higher altitude will make the bike richer than it would be at sea level, and your mods will make it leaner.

Be prepared to drop down to the 107.5 if its too rich still. The 17.5 pilot will be fine for you regardless, you just may have to go in on the fuel screw a little more.

a 17.5 pilot and 110 main work for me. Pretty much same mods as you and I ride from sea level to about 6,000 ft.

Thanks guys

I appreciate the input.....I think I bought the 20 pilot and the 112.5 main.

If that's the case, then going ahead and opening up the airbox should help to even things out, YEAH?

I'm feeling really good about this! Here's the dealio: my buddy is going to get his son a CRF150.....he currently has an '85 XR100, jetted and a super trapp. My daughter on the 125L can already pull him ever so slightly....he's a big 11 yo.

I am thinking with the pipe and jets, she should still be able to give him a tough time.

:thumbsup::ride::cry::ride::ride::crazy:

Yeah those jets are perfect 112.5 and 20 pilot. I just installed them yesterday and the bike starts first push of the button. Thats the greatest mod of all.

Yeah those jets are perfect 112.5 and 20 pilot. I just installed them yesterday and the bike starts first push of the button. Thats the greatest mod of all.

Well, just because it works at your elevation and temps doesn't mean it will work for mine - or his.

What temps and elevation are you riding at?

Temps and Elevation:

San Diego: 70* to 90* approx

Elevation: 2000 - 3500 feet

Almost done with the install!!!

I'll let you know - 20 pilot and 112.5 main 1.5-2 turns on the fuel screw.....

We'll see.

Ok, this whole deal went without a hitch.

What a concept, the damm thing starts AND runs with little or no choke....and she idles... WHO KNEW!!!!

Pulls my a$$ up the big hill no sweat and pulls much harder than it used to!!! I weigh 240 and my daughter ( who's bike it is ) weighs 95.

SO - 20 pilot - fuel screw at 1 3/4 turns out

112.5 main

pulled the snorkle and drilled a 1 3/4" hole in the top of the air box using a

hole saw.

At 1000' which is where I live she runs pretty good ( pulling me ) we'll have to see how the little one handles the extra HP, bothe of them.

Keep in mind I ride a stock DRZ400 for dual sport, and my main ride is a ZRX1200R.

normal_DSC06744.JPG

Here's a couple pics of the TTR....guess what.........................IT'S BLUE

normal_DSC07101.JPG

normal_DSC07102.JPG

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I really was thinking the 112 would be a little much but it sounds like you dialed it in. If given the choice, I always prefer to be a little rich as opposed to a little lean anyway.

Btw, is the red bike a zrex too?

There are quite a few major differences between it and the green one. And man that front tire on it is huge!

You have a nice stable there...

Wait a minute, I don't see any tire wear on any of those bikes! You need to ride more :thumbsup:

San Diego Jets for the TTR are 112.5 20 Pilot. If you ride in the 4000 Elevation of McCain Valley or Clark Canyon it might be too rich i dunno yet, but out in the desert like Superstition or Glammis it should be perfect. I just put a new Two Brothers Pipe on the bike sure looks sweet now.

Green Bike is the 2002 ZRX1200R

Red Bike is a 1981 GPZ550

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

normal_DSC06747.JPG

Dude, that is a cherry bike... Very nice. :applause:

San Diego Jets for the TTR are 112.5 20 Pilot. If you ride in the 4000 Elevation of McCain Valley or Clark Canyon it might be too rich i dunno yet, but out in the desert like Superstition or Glammis it should be perfect. I just put a new Two Brothers Pipe on the bike sure looks sweet now.

So, IF and I do mean IF, I drill another hole on the air box for riding at McCain, I could save the plug, and duct tape it for the Plaster City and desert stuff?

Lean it out for McCain, less air and richer for the desert?

Hey ovrdrv, Thanks! 16,000 original miles.....

Wait a minute, I don't see any tire wear on any of those bikes! You need to ride more :applause:

Hold on there big fella.......current stable

2002 ZRX - 36,200 newer tires

2005 DRZ - 3500 new tires

1981 GPZ - 16000 new tires - I only have about 1200 on her

2005 TTR - 800 approx miles - it's my 11 yo daughter's bike

Previous miles on my first 5 bikes = 450,000 miles.......Ride more???

My A$$ hurts :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Hold on there big fella.......current stable

2002 ZRX - 36,200 newer tires

2005 DRZ - 3500 new tires

1981 GPZ - 16000 new tires - I only have about 1200 on her

2005 TTR - 800 approx miles - it's my 11 yo daughter's bike

Previous miles on my first 5 bikes = 450,000 miles.......Ride more???

My A$$ hurts :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Well ok, it's a little suspicious but ok :ride:

I wouldn't worry a bit about your setup. If it's dialed in your shop it's going to be dialed anywhere you ride it. It's a TTR125 for christsakes, the only difference you're likely to notice is the color of your spark plug! :thumbsup:

Well ok, it's a little suspicious but ok :thumbsup:

Ok Ok.... here it is, we'll add it up later:

1979 Honda 650 four - 22,000

1979 Honda 750F - 52,000

1982 GPZ550 - 31,000

1983 Gpz750 - 225,000 - - 110,800 on the first motor then complete remanufacture - see pic

2002 ZRX1200R - 36,600

2005 DRZ 400S - 3500

------------------------->>> SUM Biatch!!! Bad math - Busted!

369,500 miles total.....

68kbgpz750.jpg

My daughter got to ride the bike with the new pipe and jetting on Sunday.

She had a grin from ear to ear. Easy to start, taking off is easier and when she pulls the happy grip she takes off!!! :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Excited all week, I got back from a Dual sport ride at Lake Arrowhead at 2pm and we were off to ride even more by 3pm. Pretty cool that she's having that much fun :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Thanks again for the replies and help is nailing the setup....it really runs great.

So, IF and I do mean IF, I drill another hole on the air box for riding at McCain, I could save the plug, and duct tape it for the Plaster City and desert stuff?

Lean it out for McCain, less air and richer for the desert?

Hey ovrdrv, Thanks! 16,000 original miles.....

You need to make the bike a little lean in the high altitudes because the gas is going in the same but you are getting less oxygen from the air, therefore your bigger jetting will make your bike richer at higher altitudes than at lower. You will either have to adjust the amount of gas going into the engine, which is not anything i have messed with but i believe there is a screw you can turn that is inside the carbureter that meters your pilot jet. The main jet i dunno, you will probably have to change it when you go to mountains, if you want it completely dialed in. I doubt that drilling holes in the airbox will do anything noticeable for your jetting situation, but I dunno, i only removed the snorkel. Theres the screw on the outside of the engine I think lets more air or something that you could adjust when you go to the mountains instead of changing jets. You should get a uni air filter it flows 40 CFM more than stock which will make more change in my opinion but costs 20 bucks. Only so much air will make it through the filter, and having a big hole in your airbox only matters if you weren't getting enough air to the filter.