Sign in to follow this  

stiffer fork springs than recommended?

I have a 03 YZ250f with .43 fork springs. I used the spring calculator and it said I need .46 springs. I have a set of .49 springs that were in my old 426 and am wondering if they would be too stiff for this bike? I ride motocross tracks and some of them are really rough, so I don't want to go too stiff.

It is possible that you take one of your softer springs out and replace it with one of the stiffer ones- that would give you the rate you desire. Check the length and diameter of the springs before installing, though- you don't want two different lengths in there, because then you would have to try to equal out the length with spacers, etc., and it could be more trouble than its worth.

Adam

I agree with ferg571, but it 's also possible to ride stiffer springs and soften the compression damping, that's what I prefer

Thanks for the replies. I put both of the springs in today and rode in a lot next to the shop I work at. It has some good deep rain ruts and sharp ridges about 6-8 inches tall from an excavator. I backed out the compression from 7 to 15 clicks out and it was smooth as butter, with no funky feeling you get with out enough compression damping. Will try at the track this weekend, I think it will be perfect...

I guess it only pays to track test. I rode yesterday and found it was very hard to fall into rutted corners, but everywhere else the suspension felt alot better. I back the compression all the way out and it turned a little better.Then I turned the rebound in from 12 to 7 clicks and it turns even better, but it feels like it still needs something.

I need to change the fork oil and thinking about softening up the base valve at the same time. I was thinking of remove one of the largest diameter shims.

I think if the compression was a little softer, the front would settle in corners better? I just want to be sure the stiffer springs aren't something I can't work around.Maybe putting one of the .43 back in would cure everything?

I would like to get my compession clicker closer to the middle of its adjustment. Will one of the largest shims do it or maybe two?

Thanks

I

Maybe putting one of the .43 back in would cure everything?

There ya go.

doc

Will one of the largest shims do it or maybe two?

Thanks

I

It's your turn if you put in one softer spring or soften the valving. both will result in a softer ride. if you go for the shims, put at least 2 out.

with 9 shims of 24x0.1 you probabely have to put out at least 3 or 4 to feel something.

But you can try as well switching the last shim (12x0.15) to first place

although i'd recommend this rather for woods than mx