Tight Trail Berms Technique

I wouldn't recommend squaring up the turn and blasting out unless you no that, that will set u up for the fastest line on the next straight. If this is not the case its normally fastest to use all of the berm to your advantage and flow around it,instead locking up the back brake stopping and then going.

hope this helps ?

squaring up in a berm while woods riding is something you should never do. This isn't supercross. Your problem is balance and momentum. If you blowing the berm it's your balance.

I agree with this fully. And on that note, one thing I found that helped me a ton in these type of turns as is the case with ALL riding is to make sure you are looking as far ahead as possible. Not looking through to the end of the turn is a major cause of standing the bike up, blowing a berm, or popping out of a rut. Looking ahead and smooth controlled braking on entry and smooth power delivery on exit should fix your issues.

i used to have the same problem until i saw my buddie go in front, all u do is find the a gear (2nd for me) that can lug but is still pretty fast, then when coming up on the berm stick you inside leg out and in front of u then lean in at about 1/8 throttle then at the appex gas that shit. lol its loads of fun but the big thing is practice practice.

i used to have the same problem until i saw my buddie go in front, all u do is find the a gear (2nd for me) that can lug but is still pretty fast, then when coming up on the berm stick you inside leg out and in front of u then lean in at about 1/8 throttle then at the appex gas that shit. lol its loads of fun but the big thing is practice practice.

That might be best for you but every berm is different and you need to judge and react differently. you know what if you having problems in the berms then go out, make a figure 8 and ride it ubntill you run out of gas. i ensure you you will cure this problem. ?

A little late on this thread, but here's the answer. Your off the gas with to much momentum.

Practice slower and then add speed. Enter the turn as fast as comfortable for you, drop to the seat moving as far forward as you can (on top the tank) bring the leg up and out forward (counterweights you) which will pull you down into the berm wherever on the berm you find the smoothest line. If you still get pulled up and out of the turn you have serious suspension issue, and its rebounding you out. Soften it up and let the suspension work for you.

Sounds to me that you simply are not looking where you want to go. You get caught up in thinking about the technique to use and you fall behind the trail reacting to the bike. Maybe that sounds silly... but sometimes it really is that simple.

Once again, I find myself right there with GMoss on this one. (GMoss, have we ridden together in another life, or something???)

There is a road-racing technique that does also work in the dirt...applying just a slight bit of outward pressure to the inside grip will help to kind of suck the front right into the radius of the turn....not too much pressure, or you'll be eating shit.

And carrying a gear higher than you think you need; even if you're lugging the engine a little exiting the turn, will carry more overall speed....use a little clutch on exit, if you need to get the revs up. A bike that is lugging a little in a higher gear is definitely still moving faster than the bike that's a gear lower and screaming it's guts out because it's neck is wrung and it's got no more to give. I had a tough time training myself to not pay attention to the sound of the engine...but I did find that I was making better time through the switchbacks and all turns in general when I ran a gear higher.