Sign in to follow this  

2000 Honda Rebuild

First post! Yay!

Okay, in 2001, I bought a 2000 XR100R for 1500, and then in 2004 I sold it with all my gear for 1500. Well, I sold it to a kid I know, he lives a few blocks away, and I was talking to him yesterday, he said he'd siezed up the engine in the bike, hadn't checked or changed the oil in two years :thumbsup: Anyways, I can buy the bike back really cheap, and I am gonna do it, but I am curious as to what I'm getting into here. I've rebuilt car engines before, a Saab NG900, my Pontiac twice, and my brother's Eclipse, so I know what's involved there, crank machining or replacement, oversized bearings, and a whole lot of others parts down there. What am I looking at for this bike, and where's a good spot to get the parts? Also, is a normal automotive machine shop going to be able to do work on this motor, or am I going to have to take it to a motorcycle specific shop? TIA guys.

[DELETE]

Huh?

Anyways... Yeah, I loved the bike when I had it, been regretting selling it ever since I did. I'm definitely gonna buy it, I'm just wondering about how much work I'm gonna need to put into it. I guess that's my next question, when a motor siezes up because of lack of oil, where should I start looking for problems at?

That's kind of a tough one without tearing the motor apart first hand, but I've seen motors with just about everything junk and some not so much. The good news is everything is available on ebay, heck I'm going to be selling a motor soon on ebay. You just have to take it apart and see.

Okay, got the motor today. It doesn't fire, but it will kick, abeit harder than It used to. It makes a wierd clicking noise as it turns over now aswell. I'll be tearing into it tomorrow, I'll post pics as I go.

The motor is really easy to rebuild with average mechanic skills, but you will need to get a clymer's manual. Don't even attempt doing it yourself without one. You'll just frustrate yourself and probably screw something up. I still refer to it every once in a while.

Yeah, I'll probably get one. Is there any chance of picking a manual up locally? Or am I going to have to order? What's a good source for them?

BTW, the timing seemed to be on from what I could gather of pics on the internet. Chain and tensioner weren't busted at any rate.