Sign in to follow this  

what is the key to longer water pump life????

i got 4-5 rides on a fresh water pump rebuild.its been hot here in the Cali -valley(106-110) degrees ...does anyone think that could cause early retirement for the water seal......do i need more grease on the seals when i install them???? help???

Ive come to the conclusion that (at least on my bike) just becaues it dibbles a bit at start up, that doesnt mean the seals are bad. I think the seals get fouled some how like dirt in a fork seal. Ive been riding my bike for about 20 hours now and simply topping off the rads. It'll dribble, then it wont...I'll go three or four rides...no dribbling..then it'll dribble a tad...then nothing again.....I just said screw it. I'll check it after each moto and see whats up. I found that once the bke was warmed up, it didnt leak anymore...

well.i just tested that theory and...i took the case off pullet the seals buffed the shaft..put it back and it still leaks..I'm going to buy new seals and shaft ..the bearing looks good and the 06 impeller isn't damaged at all,,so if it only lasts 4-5 rides ill b selling....

I went through the same thing with my 05, I replaced the outter seal, it still leaked, so what I did was take the whole primary off and replace every single seal on the primary, water pump, Boyseen impellor and case, DONE!!! So far so good.

Are you sure you put the water pump seal in the correct way? I have seen at least one person replace their water pump seal twice because they put it in upside down.

The inner lips of the seal should be facing the pressure side, or out.

dont over fill your radiators. The water level should be just above the ribs and about 1 inch below the top of the fill hole. This gives it some head space to expand

yep got the 06..w/ the hole...seals are in right....orderin my parts right now ...dont really want to buy a new shaft ...but im going to anyway...

i got 4-5 rides on a fresh water pump rebuild.its been hot here in the Cali -valley(106-110) degrees ...does anyone think that could cause early retirement for the water seal......do i need more grease on the seals when i install them???? help???

Honda antifreeze apparantly is silicate free. According to honda most other antifreeze and coolant brands contain silicates which are abrasive and wear out seals. I have recently switched to Honda antifreeze for this reason, and am testing to see if there is any truth to this. In any case it probably wont hurt to try it.