Sign in to follow this  

Stainless Steel Oil Filters

Do stainless steel filters do as good a job as the pleated paper type? What's the best method for cleaning the SS filters? :thumbsup:

The SS ones are like $100. I can buy an awful lot of cheap ones $100.

The SS ones are like $100. I can buy an awful lot of cheap ones $100.

Umm, more like $60

Here

A good paper filter is $3.50 or more so about 17 filters.. .. Yes it is cheaper in the long run..Plus it's about availability... Have an SS filter,means never need to order another filter.

A quick search online found SS filters as low as:

CRT Performance Reusable Oil Filter

Fits: 2005, SUZUKI, DR-Z 400E

Our price: $39.99

Part# CRT000SK

Bronco good point about availability and never needing to order again. :thumbsup:

How exactly do you clean a SS filter and is it obvious when it's totally cleaned? I've never used one before. They do seem the most cost effective, as long as they clean the oil as well or better than the paper type.

Some use carb or brake cleaner(use the spray tube to spray from inside out). I use dish soap and hot water(it's S.S. after all), again running the water from inside out. The hot filter drys in about a min.

An ultrasonic sink works the best. Quite like an oil thread whether or not they filter well enough though. You will have to do a lot of research and then....??

Change your oil often with them they do a crappy job of filtering both total area wise not nearly the flow area of a paper. They do not filter well small particle size <35 microns. That is the flip side.

I run my oil for longer than some here and an SS filter is unacceptable for me. Paper rules!

Ah yes,, An oil filter thread.. Filled with as much information, and misinformation as an oil thread.

If you wish to post "Facts" understand the information. How the two different types of filter media are rated, what each rating means in relation to each other. Look at flow rates, and look at other applications which use SS medical grade filter medium. Then decide what is best for you :thumbsup:

So ,,where do I find these medical grade filters

Will they do the job a paper filter would ?

Id pay a hundred bucks If they do as good a job

to filter out the small stuff,,but I do not know what small IS

I guess Im saying what is the best SS filter out there

A quick search online found SS filters as low as:

CRT Performance Reusable Oil Filter

Fits: 2005, SUZUKI, DR-Z 400E

Our price: $39.99

Part# CRT000SK

Bronco good point about availability and never needing to order again. :thumbsup:

How exactly do you clean a SS filter and is it obvious when it's totally cleaned? I've never used one before. They do seem the most cost effective, as long as they clean the oil as well or better than the paper type.

This guy didnt have much luck with that model

I run scott's on my tengai (for a long time) and my klx (couple of years now) and have had no issues with them.

If you go by suzuki and only change your oil every 4000 miles then it'd take a while to recoup the initial cost but if you do it more often then it adds up quickly.

Then as bronco said, more or less, I now don't have the excuse of not having a new filter to put off changing my oil. And without a suzuki or kawasaki dealer nearby it's an expensive pain in the ass to drive 50 miles each way to get one.

Xactly like Bronco said there are alot of opinions. Read up on it and make up your own mind. I think the thing you will find are the ones who run stainless trust them the ones who don't don't. There are also good and bad examples of both kinds. You will also find that it tends to be proportional to the oil change intervals. The guys who change oil every ride or 2 use them, the rest.... Which reflects my original post.

I don't have any of my good links at home or I would post a couple.

Let's go crazy and run a stainless filter (or a Fram) and Mobil 1. That should light every fire on this board.