Sign in to follow this  

Valves

Alright guys. I juss checked my valves and the right intake valve is .002 too loose. And the right side exhaust valve is .001 too loose. The left side is within spec. So my question is if it should be adjusted or if its alright for now. If i took it to the shop at my local Suzuki dealer how much would it run me. Do u have to have special tools to adjust them. I'm a total newb when it comes to engines so any help would be appreciated. Thnx.

Oh and also if sum1 has the website for a down loadable service manual for free i would be very grateful if you gave it to me. Its a 04 rmz 250. Thnx

Its not free, but I like a book in the shop right next to me when I'm working a bike. I bought mine from this guy (Manual Dude) on Ebay for $34 included shipping and I got in 3 or 4 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RM-Z250-RMZ250-RMZ-250-RM-Z-2004-05-SERVICE-MANUAL-PAPE_W0QQitemZ120013481037QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No special tools needed. Once you get down to the valve cover you'll need a allen wrench, a 8 mm socket and torque wrench, did I mention you'll need a torque wrench? and a magnet to lift the buckets off of the valve stem.

Once you get the shim out you will notice it has two numbers on it, for example mine had a 98 on it. this is the .xxx number from 3.00 mm of thickness of the shim. When you see the Suzuki selections they will have a number like 3.125 or 2.973 (close guesses) the number on the shim is the rounded up value of digits to the right of the decimal point. Therefore a 2.973 = 98, 3.00 = 00, 3.125 = 13, use this to pick the shim closest to what you need.

Retorque the bolts in the exact sequence and torque specification in the manual which is 87 in lbs. Do not think 10 lbs is ok or you will burn your cam bearing out, that is a 38% increase in torque from 87 in lbs (7.25 ft lbs). There is only 2.9 lbs of oil pressure in the engine so over torqueing will significantly slow the flow of oil.