Sign in to follow this  

klr250 starting issues - Eddie? Anyone?

I have a klr250 and a bunch of others bikes.

This is driving me nuts. Sits for a week and a pain to start. Sits for a day - NO problem. Bone stock CA model except idle mixture screw cover removed and screw set at 2.5 turns out instead of 1.75 turns out. Seems the vast majority of klr250 owners have no problem and starts 2nd kick, but more than a few of us have this issue. Seems pretty random, not isolated to the CA models, and in my case it takes a week for the problem to show up others have the same problem if it sits for a day. Does not seem isolated to any model year but mine is a 1989 with 8000 miles. If I am planning to use the bike on Saturday for example I start it and warm it up on Friday night...

Other than that no complaints regarding jetting - good plug color, runs well enough for how I use it sea level to 8000'. Some have had luck using starting fluid, some have luck kicking it 10 times then waiting 5 minutes then trying again. Others find that setting the idle adjustment screw more like 1500 rpm when warm to help the issue (these bikes can idle near 800 rpm if you want them to). Fresh gas / stabil...still happens.

You would be helping many klr250 owners if you could give us some ideas to try.

More info - The bike even when sitting for a week needs no choke at all. It will not start with the choke on. It is as if it is getting too much gas after sitting for that long. :thumbsup:

Yes - all fine. At bunch of these bikes have similar symptoms. It is as if they are being flooded on a couple of kicks while cold with no choke.

edit - taking the idle mixture screw from 1.75 to 2.5 turns out actually helped it start easier. I have only been in the sport a few years but previous owner raced mx for years and always had trouble starting it - and no he did not mx the klr250 he got that to run around town with.