Sign in to follow this  

Is the drz125L my answer ?? HELP!

Guys I need answers. I have been riding about 3.5 years. I am 33 5'6 and 160-165lbs. I have had in order xr250/crf230/kx100/crf250x(current). I ride in indiana about 15-20 times a year in Laurel and Attica (trails riding). I dont jump ( maybe someday : ) ). I am absolutely terrible. I crash a lot I have trouble with obstacles everyone else rides right over. I am not good up or down hill lol. I usually think I enjoy it , but sometimes I wonder if I just go cuz my friends do. I know I need a lot of practice but I think the right bike is important. I loved the KX but hated riding so hi in the power band all the time. The xr250 was just way to heavy and hard to start for someone crashing all the time and too tall. The crf230 was not bad but not as well built for abuse as the others . THe 250x just doesnt seem to be the answer at all as It seems I have gotten worse since swithching to it. My friends say I never carry enough speed etc.

I have a friend who just got off a quad and into a drz400. He loves it. says the low end power is just what he needs cuz he didnt like running so balls out as on the 250x and kx100. A friend said thats what you need except smaller , so I thought hmm maybe the DRZ 125L. Guys I dont want to quit. What do you think? I have included anyhthing I thought would matter, ask anything you need and make all the fun you want ;P

if anyone likes something , he'll or she'll do fine with it

if you likes riding with specific type of bikes .. just keep on going

doing so .

you mentioned riding since 3.5 years ago .. it's a long time passed

you have to take your own choice.

myself, riding since i'm 11 then stopped due to travel & later because

of a car accedint .. it was 8 long years of halt , but i returned back

and now riding even while the tempreature exceeding 48 C , it's

just because i like ridng .

goodluck .

Just keep at it with the CRF250X. The DR-Z125 is not your answer. If getting over obstacles is the issue, the larger front tire and better suspension of the CRF250X are helping you.

I have a 250X. First bike I've owned in a long time. My DRZ125L was bought a few months ago.

If you feel like the 250X is too tall for you, there are some ways to make it a bit shorter. Easiest and cheapest is to trim some seat foam off. I'm sure there are some posts about how to do that.

Other ways involve the suspension and the subframe and can get expensive.

The difference between the 250X and the DRZ125L is night and day. The DRZ125L is a low-end trail bike... it's suspension is set up for about a 115 lb rider. I'm in the process of changing the front end to a KX100 and the shock to an after market. Plus new fork springs suited for my weight (I'm 6'-0' and 185lbs). In stock setup, the DRZ bottoms constantly. Makes it hard for me to ride it.

I think the 250X is a great bike. If you're having trouble riding... maybe the thing to do is find an MX riding school you can attend. That might set you back $200 or so, but if the instructor is on the ball... you'll get a lot out of it. Basically, you'll learn what you need to work on, get some time doing just that and be better prepared to practice on your own. I know you said you trail ride, but the things you'll learn will apply to track and trail riding.

I'm no expert.. not even close... but it just seems to me you need more time on the bike and more confidence and probably someone to point out what might be giving you trouble. In person that is..

Don't ride beyond your ability. That will get you hurt. If the bike is OK seat-height wise, I think you've got a great bike to work with. Once you gain some confidence and experience though, you'll have a ton of fun. Good luck and be safe.

I have taught MANY people how to ride on my KLX-125. The bike is so very forgiving, it's an excellent tool for learning and with some cheap hop-ups it will scoot around pretty good too.

Give it a whirl!

What every you do dont buy a 125l. They are no good! Mabey get a 230 but I say stick to the 250x