Sign in to follow this  

Which bike is my answer ?? HELP!

I have posted this in the other forums I am looking as much input as possible. I have been riding about 3.5 years. I am 33 5'6 and 160-165lbs. I have had in order xr250/crf230/kx100/crf250x(current). I ride in indiana about 15-20 times a year in Laurel and Attica (trails riding). I dont jump ( maybe someday : ) ). I am absolutely terrible. I crash a lot I have trouble with obstacles everyone else rides right over. I am not good up or down hill lol. I usually think I enjoy it , but sometimes I wonder if I just go cuz my friends do. I know I need a lot of practice but I think the right bike is important. I loved the KX but hated riding so hi in the power band all the time. The xr250 was just way to heavy and hard to start for someone crashing all the time and too tall. The crf230 was not bad but not as well built for abuse as the others . THe 250x just doesnt seem to be the answer at all as It seems I have gotten worse since swithching to it. My friends say I never carry enough speed etc.

I have a friend who just got off a quad and into a drz400. He loves it. says the low end power is just what he needs cuz he didnt like running so balls out as on the 250x and kx100. A friend said thats what you need except smaller , so I thought hmm maybe the ttr 125 / 225 ? Guys I dont want to quit. What do you think? I have included anyhthing I thought would matter, ask anything you need and make all the fun you want ;P

Well a TTR225 will be pretty much like your CRF230. My TTR doesn't like real thick mud too much but I think thats because of the weight.

BTW do you ride at Haspin Acres? That's where I ride and I'm only 15 and so is my friend but we'd be perfect for you to ride with because we both suck and are slow. :thumbsup:

you might want to try a drz200 or a xr200 um try and find something w/ electric start. Actually what you might be looking for is a TTR250 or a WR250 they are both slower than crf250x try the ttr250 i think that might be a good bike. you are too big for a ttr125 or CRF150 and a 225 or 230 is a waste of money.

Yes I do ride at Haspin. It is very muddy. Which is often and issue.

How would the wr/ttr 250 differ from the crf250x ? What would the benefits be ? I have issues with the weight and height of the crf250x for sure.

Well the WR is very comparable to your CRF, and has a snappier motor, it is not slower! The TTR250 is going to be the same as your XR250. As mentioned, the TTR230 is equal to the CRF230. If you thought the CRF230 couldn't stand the abuse, stay clear of the TTR125L.

Then what is left???

1. Keep your CRF250X and put a Rekluse auto clutch in the bike. This will allow you to ignore the clutch and focus on riding. You will have the low end power you desire as the clutch will put the power to the ground no matter where you are at. Also, your bike will not die. Look at lowering the bike or shave the seat foam (though there isn't much to shave on your bike, so forget that) and lower the forks in the clamps.

2. Buy a KTM200EXC and put a Rekluse auto clutch in the bike. Lower the bike. This will save you weight, but you might lose more $$$ going this route.

3. Reconsider your riding future.

If it were me, #3 is way out of the question, #1 makes the most sense as it will only cost $4-600 depending on how you lower the bike. #2 would be awesome, but you lose your e-start and it would probably be more expensive.

If you go with option #1 you already have the bike and if you don't like it then you can pull the clutch out and sell it for $250 on ebay.

I have two buddies that are new to riding. Adding the Rekluse to their 426s helped them a ton, almost like 2 years of riding experience.

I take a lot of beginner riders out on my extra bikes. The TTR125 is the hands down favorite. Plenty of power for a beginning adult and most importantly, your feet can easily touch the ground. Something all beginning/bad riders do way too much of. :thumbsup:

I think you should just detune your 250x to make it ridable for you and lower it. The TTR is a great little trail bike, I love it, but it needs about $1000 or so to make it work.

Thanks for the input so far. I have lowered the bike in the forks and have added a kouba link but have not ridden with it yet. I also have a durelle seat which supposedly lowers the seat and inch or so. I try not to touch the ground as I know you really shouldnt be anyway. The weight of the bike may be fine. But after picking it up 30-40 times a day it gets ridiculous. Especially when its always half way up a 6 ft deep rut on a 80-100ft hill.

I did like the stance of the 230 , and it was only my friends that said the bike was taking a beating. ( it didnt look like it to me) although the drum brake did suck. And for its size it was heavy.

I have thought about that clutch a lot. Now people would rag on me to no end but they do that anyway so I cant see what I have to lose. Would it be ok to buy one on ebay or should I stick with new ?

As far as money goes at this point I have spent so much on bikes it doesnt matter , so if its the right way to go I am for it. Even if that meant buying a smaller bike and doing the motor and suspension.

Honestly, do the clutch!!! Some of the top local off road riders run the Rekluse. Almost every bike in the Dirt Rider internet bike contest ran a Rekluse. I WANT A REKLUSE!!!

The Rekluse is not for sissies, it just makes offroading that much more fun. I had a chance to ride my buddies 426 with the Rekluse and it was like a trials bike. I rode over a small log deck without dabbing or worrying about killing the bike. Seriously, you have the bike (don't change AGAIN), you have it lowered, buy the Rekluse and don't give up on yourself.

Once you have your bike set up just get out and ride for a year. I am sure your buddies razz you, we all do. In reality they are just having fun with you and love the fact that you are out there with them. If this is not the case, find new buddies :thumbsup:

Oh, and if you need a handlebar riser to drop your forks more Rocky Mountain ATV has them for $20 here is a link:

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=12976&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=70&navType=type

OK I have you solution. Keep your bike and get the Rekluse clutch etc. But also get a TTR125le. Everyone should have a a big bike and mini-bike anyways. You've tried more or less every bike out there and you have about the best bike ever made. Get a play bike so you can go out and just have fun. Plus they are fun to build.

you might be on to something there. Can these 125's take the beating ? Running big ruts? Rocks ? Flipping and rolling etc. And yes that all happens to me. I havent hit a tree real square since last year lol.

They aren't as tough as your old CRF230F. Also, your footpegs will be lower and there is significantly less power. Suspension, that will be a project, but with enough money and know how it can be done.