Sign in to follow this  

YOUR airfilter maintenance

what do most of you guys do?

i am still usin the stocker. i have cleaned/oiled it twice now. gonna replace it soon.

when i clean it, i use soap/water, let it dry completly, then oil the inside only, and work it in really good. i use PJ1.

how about you guys? the quick change fad, or other alternatives?

more importantly, how do you clean them

I clean my filter after 2 or so rides depending on the dust. I use the PJ filter oil and I am also still using the stock filters and rotate a second stock filter in with every change.

The PJ1 filter oil is good but it's not going to come out with soap and water. You need to use a solvent based cleaner to really get it clean. I switched to No-Toil and really like the water clean up. Also oil the outside and work it in, the outside is the most important part to get oiled and will trap most of the dirt. BTW, I think the stock filter is the best.

Stock filter, 1, 2, 3. Clean the filter one time with solvent, 2 times with Dawn, rinse three times with clean water. Let it dry. Use your favorite oil.......I use FFT.

I'm using a Twin Air with No-Toil oil. I clean it pretty much everyride depending no the conditions. I am sold on the No-Toil system :thumbsup: . I can't imagine going back to the old way of cleaning filters.

i did a bunch of research and it seems like oiling the outside of the filter is NOT correct.

the way it was explained is this,

when you oil the outside of the filter, dirt sticks there. it then gets sucked through the filter, only to clog up again. when you oil ONLY the inside, it taps off the outside, doesnt get stuck and then sucked through, but the small amount of dirt that still goes onto the filter gets trapped form the inside/mid level oil.

i tried it and it works very well. i just take a wet paper towel and wipe the dirt accumulated at the bottom of the box out. that same dirt used to stick to the filter and acuse me to have to clean my filter more.

think about it and give i a shot. :thumbsup:

im gonna strat using degreaser to make sure i remove all the old oil as well.

Based on the fact that No Toil is actually in the bottle with the Honda Label on it, you can almost say that it is the "Recommended" brand.

I have used it since day 1. Mix of batch of cleaner with warm water, clean the filter well, dump the water, rinse the bucket, and repeat the process with a fresh batch of cleaner. This way I make sue I am not cleaning it with dirty water. I use a wet rag with the cleaner on it to clean the inside of my airbox. I use a light film of the No Toil rim grease, and wipe the excess all around the inside of the airbox, that way dust sticks to the airbox as well as the outside of the filter. I like the idea of only oiling the inside of the filter and leaving the outside dry, Ill have to try that. I use the No-Toil spray. I think the first can lasted 4 changes. How many does everyone get out of a can of spray?

I can remember, back in the day, cleaning my oil filter in a can of gas, sticky Bel-Ray oil everywhere. Nasty stuff. I much preferr working with Biodegradable No Toil.

Based on the fact that No Toil is actually in the bottle with the Honda Label on it, you can almost say that it is the "Recommended" brand.

I have used it since day 1. Mix of batch of cleaner with warm water, clean the filter well, dump the water, rinse the bucket, and repeat the process with a fresh batch of cleaner. This way I make sue I am not cleaning it with dirty water. I use a wet rag with the cleaner on it to clean the inside of my airbox. I use a light film of the No Toil rim grease, and wipe the excess all around the inside of the airbox, that way dust sticks to the airbox as well as the outside of the filter. I like the idea of only oiling the inside of the filter and leaving the outside dry, Ill have to try that. I use the No-Toil spray. I think the first can lasted 4 changes. How many does everyone get out of a can of spray?

I can remember, back in the day, cleaning my oil filter in a can of gas, sticky Bel-Ray oil everywhere. Nasty stuff. I much preferr working with Biodegradable No Toil.

You're doing it the hard way. Seriously.

Put the dirty filter in the washing machine with some no-toil cleaner, and some laundry detergent.

You're doing it the hard way. Seriously.

Put the dirty filter in the washing machine with some no-toil cleaner, and some laundry detergent.

My wife would have a serious problem with that. :thumbsup:

I use the Ready filters and just change them everytime I ride, for $8.95 a ride it is the cheapest insurance for your bike.

Skippy

Do it when she's not home. Doesn't leave any residue in the washer at all.

Laundromat :thumbsup:

how do you guys dry your filters? anyone here use your dryer? hair dryer? let it sit out...

I 've used OEM filters and No Toil for more than 2 years. The combination seems to do a very good job. I suggest oiling the entire filter because it maximizes your probability of catching all of the very fine dirt particles; I prefer not to let dirt penetrate into my filter any more than necessary. BTW, the oil catches the dirt, the foam primarily holds the oil. I did try the spray-on version for a while, but I went back to complete immersion in the liquid version to make sure I'm getting the oil throughout the entire filter. (I may have detected an improvement in filtering with the complete immersion, but I can't say for sure.) I then remove the excess by squeezing the filter between paper towels. Washing machine works great, just take out the plastic insert or you'll be buying a new filter :thumbsup: . I use warm water, some No Toil cleaner and a scoop of laundry detergent. The No Toil isn't flammable, so the dryer is fine; I use it every time. If you (err... your wife) has one of those zip-up "delicates" protector bags, you can use that in the dryer. Which ever combo you use, I suggest monitoring the top of the carb for dirt/dust accumulation on a regular basis. If you're getting dirt in there (as many people do), your engine won't like it.

I have used NO TOIL from there first few batches years ago.

Currently we use ROCK OIL. Their Filter oil is very good. It wicks into the filter fast, It has the alchohol smell like No Toil but it Does Not require a cleaner. Just soak in warm water and within 15 minutes it breaks down and cleans up. I use a tad of dish soap in the sink and the filter is very clean. I use it on NO Toil brand filters. The new No Toil Filters fit the CRF250X perfectly.