Sign in to follow this  

Oil level

I just changed my oil and filter for the first time today. I put in the recommended amount .98l or 1.04 qt and started the motor for a minute. But the oil barely shows in the window. Do I need more oil?

If you put the correct amount of oil in the engine it's okay. I use the Billy Who bottle to make sure the correct amount of oil goes into the engine and after it's started and running the oil is minimal in the sight glass. :thumbsup:

i like my oil to be in the middle of the window.if its barely showing u will only have to add a small amount.pour alittle in slowly till u just see it start to move then start the engine and let it idle for a couple minutes then let it settle for a couple minutes. :thumbsup:

anyone run their oil high??? I can ride a bike pretty hard so for some reason i have talked myself into running the oil pretty close to the top of the window, am i going to hurt anything doing this, i know if you way overfill them then you can blow seals, but i wasnt sure if there was any harm in running them just a little high, like a little over 3/4 of the way to the top of the sight glass.

anyone run their oil high??? I can ride a bike pretty hard so for some reason i have talked myself into running the oil pretty close to the top of the window, am i going to hurt anything doing this, i know if you way overfill them then you can blow seals, but i wasnt sure if there was any harm in running them just a little high, like a little over 3/4 of the way to the top of the sight glass.

i think as long as your anywhere in the sight glass its fine.i have ran mine toward the top when ive slightly overfilled.i agree its nice to have as much oil as can be safely used.but it sure would suck to blow a seal.lol :thumbsup:

The oil level worried me too, then I noticed when the bike was tied down in the truck the level was filliing the window. When I get a chance Ill have someone check level while i'm on the bike.

sitting on the bike or having it tied down is going to give you a false oil level.you need to check it on a stand on level ground.