Sign in to follow this  

Howdy Ya'll!! Taking the plunge, any advise???

Hi everyone!! This is my first post here as I have finally decided to buy a 4 stroke.... I have been riding 2 strokes since, well a real long time....

I've heard all the horror stories: bikes are too heavy, won't start when hot, stall easily, need to adjust valves every ride, front end dives over jumps, ect.... and I'm still going to give it a go....

Any advise or lessons learned is appreciated.

Thanks for letting me join,

Vette Boy :thumbsup:

First of all, welcome to thumpertalk. The members here are very helpful and the site is great.

The transition from a two stroke to a four stroke is fun. If you are like most people you will feel more comfortable on the four strokes. You can't let off the throttle before a jump though. You have to be consistant on the throttle all the way to the jump. You can let off the throttle when you are in the air. You'll find that on the 4 stroke it will not seem like you are going as fast as you were on the 2 stroke but most of the time you will be. The reason for this is that the 4 strokes power is alot more mellow and useable than violent and hard to control. It'll probally be a while before you get used to most of the power being down low. But once you get used to it, you'll improve. As for the bikes being heavy, the only time I ever noticed that a four stroke was heavier than a two stroke was when I was trying to pick it up after a wreck. Yes they are pretty hard to start when they are hot. If you are a good rider you shouldn't have a problem not stalling it. You can also short shift four strokes around a track so you will be able to get a gear higher easier. Have fun on the torque machine.

[Abandoned]