Sign in to follow this  

Realistic Oil change interval question

I am a new 06 CRF owner . I noticed in the manual it says to change the engine/tranny oil every 15 hours.After how many hours of just normal track riding (no racing) should i change the oil/s. Can i get away with 15 hours or should i change it more often.Forgive me if this was asked before and thanks in advance for any responses

I change mine about every 2-3 hours. It's cheap insurance. There's not much oil in these high performance motors.

Make sure your clean your air filter ALL the time! Get 2 or 3 and rotate them. It makes it a lot easier.

i change the oil at the track sometimes twice a day,

i try not to get over 45 min of run time on the honda crf's.( 30 min is better )

on the yamaha i will change every time my rider comes in from a ride generally 20 min,

the oil will sheer out of spec within 18 to 20 min on a shared trans and engine,

and will sheer out in a honda in just about 45 min.

2 to 3 hrs ----- :ride: no way , i get customer bikes in the shop all the time that are ruined because trying to go 3 or 5 hrs on oil ,-----

we have done oil testing and temp tests and i do not care who's oil you use ( actually the expensive oils die way quicker )

these little motors just kill the oil.

just keep it changed and you motor will love you more !! :thumbsup:

I agree with kelstr. I am no expert by any means but common sense tells me that a high performance 4 stroke engine that is lubricated by about 3/4 of a quart of oil needs to be replaced quite often. I replace mine after every day of riding and sometimes I don't think that is enough.

i change mine after ever weekend race and pratice on the oil for the week and change it friday....gota change the oil filter too after every ride

what kind of oil do you guys recommend? my dads one Friend swears by amsoil, and I've always used Bel ray in my other bikes. I'm going to pick up my new 06 crf250 this week and its my first brand new bike.. so i want to really do everything i can to keep it running top condition. i plan on getting an hour meter so i can keep track of everything easier and know when to do this and that ( like oil changes ) i've also heard people on the crfs changing there oil filter every 3rd oil change?

what kind of oil do you guys recommend? my dads one Friend swears by amsoil, and I've always used Bel ray in my other bikes. I'm going to pick up my new 06 crf250 this week and its my first brand new bike.. so i want to really do everything i can to keep it running top condition. i plan on getting an hour meter so i can keep track of everything easier and know when to do this and that ( like oil changes ) i've also heard people on the crfs changing there oil filter every 3rd oil change?

IMO an hour meter is a must have. It makes keeping track of your oil changes and other maintenance so much easier. I change the oil in my engine and tranny every 3 hours. I always change them both at the same time and replace the oil filter every other oil change. I also keep all of the changes logged in an excel spreadsheet to help me keep track of things. As far as oil brand, you will get a bunch of answers on different types on this board. Just make sure you go with a good oil and not a cheap one. I am running Mobile 1 MX4T mainly because I live out in the country and the auto parts store near my house keeps it in stock. If I went with a different oil I would be driving 40+ minutes each way to get it.

Good luck with your new bike. I have had mine for 7 months now and love it.

I am a new 06 CRF owner . I noticed in the manual it says to change the engine/tranny oil every 15 hours.After how many hours of just normal track riding (no racing) should i change the oil/s. Can i get away with 15 hours or should i change it more often.Forgive me if this was asked before and thanks in advance for any responses

To get a handle on oil change interval, do a used oil analysis at varying intervals. Every rider (and bike) will thrash out an oil at different intervals. If your a beginner rider your oil may stay in spec longer than an expert rider. Also what type of riding/racing you do will have an effect on the oils staying power. Also, some oils will outlast others.

All this being said, pick the best oil for you and your bike, have a used oil analysis done periodically and find an oil change interval that works for you and your style of riding.

never had a problem with changing it after 3 rides

i get mine really cheap

I agree with smf. I cahnge mine about every 3 rides. If you look at your oil and its not black at all, then why change it. It means its not dirty. By the way the manual over compensates (like putting in a piston every 25 hours or whatever) So its not wrong. But I change it every 3 rides.

the tranny oil wen it comes out, is just barely turning color, and my engine oil wen it comes out looks brand new, but i still change it pretty much every ride.

if i had to change my oil every ride, i'd be rideing something else! no offense, i just don't have that kind of time.

if i had to change my oil every ride, i'd be rideing something else! no offense, i just don't have that kind of time.

Do you wash your bike and/or gear between each ride? Changing oil takes roughly 10 minutes. You don't have enough time for that? I changed from Amsoil the Rotella for the sole purpose of being able to change my oil every ride without spending a ton in oil. It takes more time to clean my boots than it does to change the oil in the bike. Laziness and dirt bikes have no place together. If you are riding an XR or something than I can understand, but if it's an MX bike, you have to take care of it.

Do you wash your bike and/or gear between each ride? Changing oil takes roughly 10 minutes. You don't have enough time for that? I changed from Amsoil the Rotella for the sole purpose of being able to change my oil every ride without spending a ton in oil. It takes more time to clean my boots than it does to change the oil in the bike. Laziness and dirt bikes have no place together. If you are riding an XR or something than I can understand, but if it's an MX bike, you have to take care of it.

i have an 05 crfx but i also have 4 other bikes, so, it's not a 10 min deal for me. it's not an r so it's not hammered on as bad. rick ramsey goes 500 miles between changes, i do it at 5 hours and thats usually 500 miles. and thats what the book recommends.