Sign in to follow this  

06 RMZ ride report

First off, i own a 2006 YZ250F. My previous bike was a 2004 RM250 and the bike before that was a 2003 CRF450. So i am not loyal to any brand. But anyway, on with the review. This bike corners AMAZINGLY WELL. I would say it corners just like my 250F with the ability to come in hot and just point and shoot and change direction at the last minute. It jumps great, i was doing a huge double at the track with no problems. My only problem with the bike is the front brake!! IT doesn't feel very confident inspriring, almost as if it wasn't there ( i didn't feel good depending on it). I am probably going to be looking to get a 450 soon and i must say the RMZ is a possibility. But my question is this, what do you guys recommend as far as the front brake setup goes? Different lever, disc, brake line? I don't think i am the only one with this gripe, however i feel like if i could sort this problem out, an RMZ could be in my plans. Advice on the front brake please!

I bent my stock rotor soon after i got it. I put a MSR galfer wave rotor on it and my bike stops on a dime. I think the front brake is great.

I second this.

It is weak as piss. I have bled it multiple times using the best racing fluid from Motul (I think its called RB600 or something). And yes I am bleeding it right, Im not a noob at this. I even got my brother to do it who's a mechanic.

I just don't like the "feel" of the front brake, also maybe it is the lever, i find it is thinner lever than my yzf. It just feels like the feedback is not as certain.

It actually stops better then it feels. I was noticing this yesterday as well, feels soft at the lever, but when I got out there, stopped just fine.

Go buy a Honda late model CR front Master cylinder and lever. Entire thing is about $120. Did this for my KTM. Unless something is wrong below that point, you will have a great brake!

I changed mine to a ride engineering braided steel brake line. This really improved the feel of the brake.

Another thing, what do you guys find is good for gearing? I found that i felt in between gears at times, either too low or too high. I ride MX only and the tracks here are tight tracks. What are you mx guys doing about this problem? Is going up one tooth on the rear helping?

Another thing, what do you guys find is good for gearing? I found that i felt in between gears at times, either too low or too high. I ride MX only and the tracks here are tight tracks. What are you mx guys doing about this problem? Is going up one tooth on the rear helping?

14/51 worked great for me everywhere.

I love the 4 speed tranny. I run stock front and 50 on the rear.

I just hopped off my brothers 06 CRF450 (stock gearing) and I felt like 2nd runs out too quick and 3rd is too high to take corners in properly (you have to be gentle rolling it on).

On the zook there isnt a big gap between 2nd and 3rd, ie. 2nd pulls for a long time and then once your in 3rd you can pretty much leave it there.

Love it!