Sign in to follow this  

06 250f the biggest dog on the track ?

I have ridden 3 different 06 250f and I am not sure if it is just me or not but I spent quite a bit of time on one today and it was the slowest 250f I have ever ridden. My 05 would kill it coming out of a corner. I was very dissapointed because I am going to get a new bike soon and I do not think I could live with that motor. Is there a way to get the 06 to perform more like the 05, since the motors are pretty much the same? I would like to hear some 06 owner opinions. I could not imagine buying something else but that motor sucks.

I got mine this spring and I rode 2 times easy for break-in with my brother who has an 03 yz250f.

Well we switched off a couple of times and I was very disappointed when he said his felt allot stronger than mine and I had to agree.

The third ride I was not so scared to give it hell and was dreading the drag race I knew I would have to do.

just for the stats I am about 10lbs. heavier than my brother so that was my excuse.......We lined them up and I kicked his ass 5 times out of 5 races, once with a wheelie as I passed him just to rub it in a bit :thumbsup:

His is a ton snappier down low and I think it falls off faster but from the seat I would have bet my life his was faster.

I know a drag race doesn't really translate to mx but I am very happy with the smooooth power :ride:

The power of the motor is the same between the 05 and 06 bikes stock. Either year needs a hi-compression piston to give it the bottom end it needs.

but sounds like you need to jet your bike. I have seen a lot of 06s with the float level to high, which would cause a lot of power issues.

IF you think the bike is a dog, go watch Josh Hill ride a stock one. you would think he was on a 450. Then watch him on the 450, OMG!

Don't know what's wrong with the one you rode but I know mine kicks butt! :ride:

My buddy has a Dr D on his 03 YZ250F, my 06 is stock but with a 50T rear sprocket and avNow, he was impressed with my bike's snappiness :cry: It isn't a fair comparison since our setup is different, but his had the Dr D and mine had the 2 mods above so... :thumbsup:

The kx motor was nice, felt just like the 05 yz. Maybe the yz takes some getting used to but I was scared to hit jumps with it, nothing happens when you pin it comeing out of a slow corner unless you use a lot of clutch. I bet a 50t rear would help but there still has to be a way to make it perform like the previous year bikes. A hc piston will surely shorten the life span of the motor. Anyone else dissapointed with theirs?

Was the bike jetted correctly? A rich running bike will take longer to get going while a lean bike won't have the same power to get going... :thumbsup:

A hc piston will surely shorten the life span of the motor.

And what proof of this do you have? (this ought to be good)

if that is the case, dont buy the 06 KX250F since it has higher compression than all other brands!

if i were to get a new 06, i think i would lean towards the KTM just bc its real easy to work on. IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductape

"A hc piston will surely shorten the life span of the motor. "

if that is the case, dont buy the 06 KX250F since it has higher compression than all other brands!

It's semi-true, although mostly for conditional or indirect reasons.

Higher compression increases the power output, which increases the stress placed on the engine to the extent that the extra power is used. More stress will "shorten an engine's life", but if it's tough enough for the increased load, as the YZF is, it will barely be measurable.

Some forged HC pistons are fit to the bore much more loosely to compensate for the higher expansion rates of the alloys they use, and this can accelerate piston/bore wear during cold engine operation IF you don't warm it up a bt more patiently.

The rings on pistons with single compression rings don't hold their seal as well for as long.

If the extra compression is allowed to cause detonation, the engine won't like that, either.

But to say that higher compression will shorten the engine's service life is somewhat exaggerated and misleading, and is a belief founded in an unreasonable fear.

Gray, what do you think of the 06 performance issue? Have you ridden one? Maybe it was jetted a little rich, but as a rule we do not make too many jetting changes from stock in my area. If the hc piston was so great they would come stock, Yamaha would not leave that much power on the table for no reason. I know the pipe was a little different for 06, anything else that would have changed the power delivery?

You go ahead and stick any kind of piston you want in yours but I will stick with stock. I like riding the kx but would never use my own money on one.

You go ahead and stick any kind of piston you want in yours but I will stick with stock. I like riding the kx but would never use my own money on one.

why not upgrade to Wiseco, more power can never be a bad thing, mine gave a good dose of power everywhere. its the High Compression single ring design, and its been great :thumbsup:

I have ridden 3 different 06 250f and I am not sure if it is just me or not but I spent quite a bit of time on one today and it was the slowest 250f I have ever ridden. My 05 would kill it coming out of a corner. I was very dissapointed because I am going to get a new bike soon and I do not think I could live with that motor. Is there a way to get the 06 to perform more like the 05, since the motors are pretty much the same? I would like to hear some 06 owner opinions. I could not imagine buying something else but that motor sucks.

apples to apples: what was the gearing on the 06 and on the other?

Mine's kinda got no bottom with the stock 48T but does much better with a 49T.

apples to apples: what was the gearing on the 06 and on the other?

Mine's kinda got no bottom with the stock 48T but does much better with a 49T.

same final drive as all other years. Internally, there has been changes through the gear ratios for different years.

FYi, the race teams get 14:1 comp pistons and more from Wiseco and other manufacturers that are not available to the public. A buddy has a 14.2:1 wiseco in his 06 kawi