Sign in to follow this  

good headlight help

Which bike???

S/SM use a standard H4 base halogen bulb, get one with more power if that is the issue

offroad bikes use a plastic lens headlight and run the risk of melting it and the reflector if they are increased too much.

Go with the one off the S 55W is the brightest that is legal for the road.

Myine is great even on low beam.

Which bike do you have?

On the e you can get brighter bulbs but run the very real risk of melting the plastic lens and/or reflector.

What kind of riding, off road only? Then I'd go with an HID racelight setup, I have an 8" main light and a pair of helmet lights and still only draw less then high beam on the stock S. With this setup I've never been out and wished it was day because of poor visibility.

BajaDesigns Headlight with a bright H4 Bulb is as good as it get's without going to HID...I run the BD with a 80/80 PIAA Superwhite and it is very bright and allows you to go pretty fast off-road at night (not at racing speeds though)...The BajaDesigns headlight is lightweight plastic with rubber straps but unlike the other Acerbis/UFO models the BajaDesigns model uses a glass lens so no problem of running a higher wattage bulb...I'm pretty sure you will like the BajaDesigns headlight with your E...It's $99 from BajaDesigns (But you can get it for $79 from Chapparal)...The PIAA 80/80W Superwhite bulb is around $30 and is also available from BajaDesigns...If you are not happy with this setup then the next step would be HID...

BajaDesigns Headlight with a bright H4 Bulb is as good as it get's without going to HID...I run the BD with a 80/80 PIAA Superwhite and it is very bright and allows you to go pretty fast off-road at night (not at racing speeds though)...The BajaDesigns headlight is lightweight plastic with rubber straps but unlike the other Acerbis/UFO models the BajaDesigns model uses a glass lens so no problem of running a higher wattage bulb...I'm pretty sure you will like the BajaDesigns headlight with your E...It's $99 from BajaDesigns (But you can get it for $79 from Chapparal)...The PIAA 80/80W Superwhite bulb is around $30 and is also available from BajaDesigns...If you are not happy with this setup then the next step would be HID...

Which BD headlight are you referring to specifically?

I just looked in replacement parts and the headlight shroud (60-1108) runs $34.95 and the headlight lens (60-0002) runs $44.95 making it $79.99 without a bulb.

It's the Standard headlight that BajaDesigns sells...Last time I looked it was $99 and that came with a 65/55W H4 Bulb...The PIAA 80/80 Superwhite is $30/something...But I've seen Chapparal advertise it for $79...

I would post a PIC of mine but all my bandwidth is eaten up with DIVX downloads right now...

Here...

BD-KTM3.jpg

BD-KTM2.jpg

Bottom plastic loop on mine cut to make room for the WER damper arm...

Yep...that looks like it. Looks just like mine before I was divided into 4 pieces. :ride: It has the placeholders on the inside for the horn and turn signal.

So you have no probs running the PIAA 80/80 H4 light.....that is what I will order then. I was originally thinking of ordering a different healight setup (one of them purdy types) but realized I needed the two placeholders and don't have motard wheels like others do so who cares....the bike won't have the street set-up on it at all 90-95% of the time anyway.

PS. I have looked at pics of your bike several times and wanted to ref. them later.....you should put them in a "garage" here on TT. :thumbsup:

I got rid of the stocker S light for weight loss reasons. Took off the metal bracket that it mounts to, and I would bet a 5-7 pound loss. Replaced with UFO Oregon and used the original headlight itself with the harness. It works with some elec. tape and cutting the rubber gasket it came with to fit. It works great and I never should break a front signal again! It looks like so......

newmotorbike7--20-06024.jpg

No problems at all running the 80/80W Superwhite...My personality is always form over fashion...Some of those headlights from another planet designs are all looks and no function...They had to wire high and low beams together on the Aceribis thing to get any light at all out of it...

On the PIAA bulbs...Some have higher wattages but you have to look at the illumination power to get the real readings...The 80w/80w PIAA bulb is the only one that has high and low beams at a higher wattage...I've seen some with higher readings on high beam but with standard wattage on low beam...I can cook off-road at night with this setup but not at full speed (I would need a HID setup like 10guy has but then I'd be worrying about crashing and breaking my $400 headlight...He has more money than I do)...

It works great and I never should break a front signal again!

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhh, tempting fate I see. Wanna go for a ride :ride:

(I would need a HID setup like 10guy has but then I'd be worrying about crashing and breaking my $400 headlight...He has more money than I do)...

I vote less brains.... :thumbsup:

I thought my headlight shell was pretty safe from breakage,,,,until I ran straight into a tree with the front wheel in the air. A limb reached down and broke that plastic with a very loud BANG. As I was laying there on my back wondering where my bike went I remembered the bang and figured I blewout a tire. When I finally got around to standing up and trying to find my bike, it was down a 15 foot drop and landed in the drainage ditch of a logging road, I was surprised to find the tires both inflated. As I rode off though I realized the green thing flopping around on my bars was once my headlight shell. The light itself came through without breaking, can't tell if it got scratched because it is impossible to distinguish when each scratch got put in it :thumbsup:

I might aswell quote my previous post on a similar topic:

"Here is my $15 Wal*Mart solution:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/...665largelc0.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/...667largeem2.jpg

I bought a pair of cheap lights from Wal*Mart and I took the reflectors off the hangers that are below the front fender. I then drilled a larger hole where the reflectors were to fit the mounting bolt on the lights through. I also took a trip to the hardware store and replaced the nuts that came on the lights with nylon lock nuts."

They wired right to the battery and grounded on the frame... work pretty well along with my stock light.