Sign in to follow this  

How to bleed rear brake??

My rear brake is driving me crazy, I replaced everything that can be replaced in the pump (piston, rubber o-rings, etc) and the master cylinder is in perfect shape, but my brake is still not braking, I've tried to bleed it without any success, so I need some serious advice on how to bleed the pump, please help... (where I live there's no way to find any of these "bleeding tools" you guys have there in the states so I am using a simple plastic injecter and a plastic tube) thanks...

i had the same problem with my 02. i rebuilt everything and could not get the brakes to hold enough pressure to stop the bike. turned out my brake line was bad. i replaced it with a stainless steel braided line and have not had anymore problems

I had the same problem, it was my brake line. I put a new Honda line on and no more problem.

Make sure to reverse bleed the brakes with the aid of a syringe and rubber tube. This is a very simple process and is basically foolproof. Make sure to remove the old brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir with a medicine dropper before starting.

So what goes wrong w/ the lines? Do they bulge when the brakes applied thus reducing the pressure to the caliper?

Ok I'm gonna bleed it again taking more care, if it still doesn't work, how can I tell if the line has a problem? I've already check it and I can't see any visible damage... when I press the pedal the line move a little and comes back to it's original position when release the pedal, it's that normal?

Sounds normal. Take a plastic syringe with a narrow tip and suck out the air bubble you might have in the line from the bleeder valve. Use the syringe about 2-3 times, them put in new fluid and start the bleed process using the brake pedal. If a lot of air is in the line you will never get pressure going.

I had the same issue, the line gets old and cant hold the pressure, it expands to much. New line, no more problems, but after I rebuilt the master cylinder and caliper thinkiing that was the problem.

Im also thinking if the line moves, its had it. I'll mess with mine tonight to see if either line flex's, moves or anything when pressure is applied.

I had the same problem. When trying to bleed the brakes what you are trying to do is remove air from the line right. Your brake line is lying horizontally though, (rear brake) and the trapped air will want to move up and down not left to right. Follow me here. Revove the rear wheel and brake caliper, have someone hole the caliper straight up, above the resivoir, or just put it on your seat. this way you can pumpo up the brake, then bleed the brake allowing the air to escape vertically. I had a heck of a time to until i did this. I think it just allows the air to escape more readily.

Just a thought, but it seemed to work for me.

People over complicate bleeding brakes. Start with a new brake line, because it sounds like no matter what you do now, it isn't going to feel solid. I replaced all of the seals in the calipers, master cylinder, and put on a braided line to resolve my brake issues.

To bleed the brake with the system dry or wet, try this. Put a simple brake bleeder kit on the caliper release vavle. (you can get the kit at any auto parts store for less than $20) Put an 8 mm wrench on the release valve nut, crack it loose just enough to allow fluid to flow, then press the brake lever all the way down, hold it down, then close the release valve, let the lever back up, check the volume in the master cylinder and repeat. You should notice that when you close the release valve and let the lever back up, the level in the master cylinder will drop. Just keep doing this slowly until the brake has no more air in the line and feels firm.

ben

I was getting frustrated and wasting lots of brake fluid and several hours of my time bleeding the brake so I decided to install a new line. After 5 minutes of bleeding the pedal was rock hard so I take a ride, brake for a couple of times, and it doesn't work, no way!! I was almost crying, but I kept pressing the pedal and after 10 or 15 times, yeah! the wheel stopped. Maybe the disk was wet with brake fluid, or maybe it just wanted to watch me suffer for a while, I don't know and I don't care, it works now and I'm happy. Thanks for your help guys.. without you I would still be trying to fix it... Thanks a lot...