Sign in to follow this  

2005 DRZ 400 SM Mod list: Need help...

I managed to put my hands on a used FCR so I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some expensive engine mods for my 2005 SM... but before I do, I am going to need some help/input from you guys to make up my mind between the two following options:

Option 1: 3X3 + K&N air filter + FCR + Yosh Ti

Option 2: Option 1 + E cams + E base gasket

I don't want to do the cams alone because of what Eddie said in another thread about it messing up the low range if you don't do the E base gasket at the same time.

I guess Option 1 would increase engine power to around 40 hp and the FCR would greatly improve throttle response, is that correct?

Can anybody tell me how many hp will I gain by adding the E cams and E base gasket and would that affect the engine's behaviour/power delivery.

Your input and comments are greatly appreciated...

Thanks Eddie, option 1 it is... I bet the power gain is not worth the cost / time to put the gasket and cams then...

Regarding the FCR: I was reading the FCR conversion post trying to understand what other parts I will need for the conversion.

My FCR is from a 2005 DRZ400E. It came with the intake pipe/clamp and has the adapter for the E air boot. Will my FCR hook up to the S airboot 'as is' or do I still need to purchase the 2-3/8 FCR adapter and o-ring?

Also this FCR was rejetted with a JD kit. I have the stock needle, a needle with a blue paint dot on top and one with a red paint dot.

Can I use one of these or do I still need to buy the EMN needle from Sudco?

Okay Eddie, I think this is my lucky day... I checked the box the card came in before throwing it away and at the bottom, wrapped in a brown paper bag I found... an E air boot! :thumbsup:

One last question: the E air boot does not have a connector for recycling the crankcase oil vapors: I can just hook up a tube to vent the oil vapors outside instead, right?

Also the gentleman who sold me the carb put an extended pilot screw and I checked the main jet and it's a 160...