Sign in to follow this  

Vibration...

Hey guys took out my new 06 YZ250 this weekend and wow awesome bike. I was trying to get the suspension dialed in but it seems like the front end was a little harsh, and the vibration i didnt like at all. So i was searching and finding a few threads but still need to ask.

Instead of getting triple clamps i saw some renthal rubber bar mounts in the TT store would those be worth it? If not what triple clamps, and do i have to get upper and lower or can i just get the upper one. Also if i go that route i would probably switch to pro tapers. Any help is appreciated.

I noticed the vibration on my 06 yz 250 as well. I believe mine got somewhat smoother after break in. The pro taper bars did not help much, if any, compared to the stock 7/8" in renthal bars.

I stumbeled upon the fix for vibration. I wanted to change the offset on my clamps to 22.5. The only set of clamps I could get were rg3's. This clamp rubber mounts the bars. I am using my Pro Tapers. There is no vibration in the bars...none.

The only drawback is cost. I believe the rg3 upper clamp is close to 300.00. I am sure other companies making rubber mounted clamps work, but I can promise the rg3's do.

I just upgraded my 2003 yz 250 with a 2006. My 03 had an rg3 top triple clamp and both front and rear suspension was revalved by rg3. I changed the oils in both the front and rear quite often. the engine was stock except for a pro-circuit shorty muffler, 1 more tooth on rear sprocket from stock and an o-ring chain. The front forks were raised up to the first line. I raced and practiced with this bike and I thought it was the best YZ 250 I had owned. I would normally upgrade every 2 years. But my 06 is by far a better bike and the suspension is very smooth. I have not changed the oils yet but set up the clickers from the test in the MXA mag. Again I dropped the forks to the first line. I don't feel any vibration and the bike even feels smoother than my 03 steel frame. This is the first time I kept the stock gearing and chain on the bike. It feels more free wheeling with less drag. This is the best 250 I have ridden. It certainly inspires confidence. I can't wait to race this bike against 4 strokes. The only other change I made was twin air filters which every one of my bikes recieve. My tires are inflated to 12.5-13 lbs because Jersey/PA tracks are somewhat loamy with some hard pack. I would start with the MXA mag settings and if this doesn't help than replace the suspension oils. My weight is 190lbs. Good Luck. This is a great bike.

I have an 06 yz250 w/ the Henry/Reed bend http://www.protaper.com/eastonbars.html

This is the bend that is closest to the yz stock Renthals

I also have RG3 upper and lower triple clamp set

http://www.rg3online.com/products.php

This setup feels great to me, I don't have any vibration. In the research I did before purchasing these parts I got a lot of feedback that the rubbermount clamps had a tendency for the handlebars to twist during wipeouts. This is why I opted for the RG3's, they are solid mounts w/ patented anti vibration technology.

I also took apart the suspension linkage and headset to replace the grease. Although this is a must for any new bike and should be done on a regular basis I do not think it would cause the vibration that you seem to be feeling. It is possible the motor mounts are not tight although not with a new bike. I would first set up the suspension clickers to spec. than take it out for a ride. Check your nuts and bolts throughout. Check your tire pressure, 12 - 13 lbs. should due for most cases. Replacing your suspension oil after a gtood breakin is also a must and may help but first the easier and basic checks as I mentioned. I have ridden the earlier aluminum frame Hondas 1998 and their was definite vibration issues when compared to the steel framed Hondas and YZ's of that era. Again my 06 yz250 is plush without changing the suspension oils. And I know from experience that when I do change the oils it will be even better. I am running the stock handlebars. My last YZ, 2003 mentioned above also had pro-tapers along with the RG3 setups but i still feel that this stock 06 setup is better. Hope this helps.

I was trying to get the suspension dialed in but it seems like the front end was a little harsh

The front end should loosen up after a few hours; mine was quite harsh for the first few rides then smoothed out nicely.

i have the pro taper rubber mount clamps on my 05 yz. they are great because you get the rubber mounts, plus they are fully adjustable and you can put the bars as far back or forward as you want.

I also had problems with harshness and vibration until I put the pro taper bars and rubber mounted triple clamp on best mod I've ever done, you cant believe how much its saves your arms.

I've personally heard that the anti-vibration bar inserts work VERRY good. I've never heard of rubber bar mounts, but I assume they would work good.

I've personally heard that the anti-vibration bar inserts work VERRY good. I've never heard of rubber bar mounts, but I assume they would work good.

I have the FastCo bar inserts on my 05 (ProTaper bars). They take about 90% of the buzz out. Definetly worth the $$. For $49 you can't beat them.

Fastco Bar Inserts