Sign in to follow this  

GasGas makeover

My 97 GG 270 is in need of new plastic. anyone know where's a good place to start looking? the fenders used to be red. not gonna say what they look like now.

awesome bike btw.

If you don't mind buying new fenders from Gas Gas, then call your friendly Gas Gas parts and let them know the year and model. They stock them with the graphics and all to match the year and model.

Might not hurt to include a photo of what is left of your fender too. :thumbsup:

yeah it's seen better days.. cough, cough.

well that's the thing. i dont have a local dealer. i'll hit up gasgas's website and see if i can find one in texas that will ship to me.

the importer, rising sun imports, www.trialspartsusa.com, will ship

I have a TX270

got new plastic and a big tank when I bought her this spring

Sometimes the guys at Rising Sun can be a little cranky. You will get the same or better price by going through a dealer. It all comes from Rising Sun but quite often with a more friendly attitude and more willingness to answer questions. R.S. has a low tolerance to questions from customers. Not that they are bad people, they are often very busy and don't have the time to hold anyone's hand.

I use Adrian Lewis at Lewisport USA in California. They are geared up for sales anywhere and are very up to date on what's going on with your bike. And they don't get grouchy over stupid questions. I can verify that. :thumbsup:

:ride:

http://www.lewisportusa.com/

When you say big tank do you mean the fork tank?

uhoh7 posted a thread with photos of riding his new Pro Gas Gas in Idaho. You can see his big tank in the photos:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398377

Personally, I prefer to take two 1-liter fuel bottles in a small back pack. With that, I have 1/2 liter more than the big tank. Besides, if you are "trail riding" on trails more suitable for a Trials Bike, by the time you burn what is in the stock tank and maybe one of those 1-liter fuel bottles, you are ONE TIRED PUPPY!!

I just finished a 5 hour ride (including rest stops and map stops) on mostly "Most Difficult" rated trails this weekend and consumed only 2-1/4 liters of the 3 liters in my tank.

Here's a 1600x1200 res photo along the way. Saw about 12 horses in the first 10 minutes of the ride and then not a soul the rest of the day:

Photo Link Central Cascades

no fork tank

just a bigger gastank, a bit more than 4 Liter,

that really fits the bike

and does not look like welder-went-crazy

Skinny.jpg

whatever your problem with rising sun, 2Ply

they always were polite and patient with me

the GasGas dealer down here? oh well :thumbsup:

uhoh7 posted a thread with photos of riding his new Pro Gas Gas in Idaho. You can see his big tank in the photos:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398377

Personally, I prefer to take two 1-liter fuel bottles in a small back pack. With that, I have 1/2 liter more than the big tank. Besides, if you are "trail riding" on trails more suitable for a Trials Bike, by the time you burn what is in the stock tank and maybe one of those 1-liter fuel bottles, you are ONE TIRED PUPPY!!

I just finished a 5 hour ride (including rest stops and map stops) on mostly "Most Difficult" rated trails this weekend and consumed only 2-1/4 liters of the 3 liters in my tank.

Here's a 1600x1200 res photo along the way. Saw about 12 horses in the first 10 minutes of the ride and then not a soul the rest of the day:

Photo Link Central Cascades

awesome photo. i certainly dont have that type of stuff around the house. i'm jealous. i now have plastic on order. thanks for your help.

now if i can just stop that frontbrake from fading......

whatever your problem with rising sun, 2Ply

they always were polite and patient with me

the GasGas dealer down here? oh well :ride:

Don't get me wrong fiep, no problem with Rising Sun. But they are the official Parts Importer for Gas Gas and have to fill orders for all of the dealers. I have known the owner for some time and I used to order my parts from them. But if you need to ask questions or *want* to ask questions, they can get a little short with you especially if you are ordering only $50 or less in parts.

I know more than a few guys that have had that experience. Not so much for me as I always seem to order $400 or more each time. Make a big order and know exactly what you want and there is no problem. Ask more than a couple questions and things can change if they are busy.

I don't use my local dealer either because "local" is still a 2 hour drive so either way it's a UPS shipped order. So I deal with the people that I can talk too when I need. Rising Sun can not give you any discounts as it would undercut the dealers they supply. I don't look for the specials but it's nice to get them from time to time.

So I leave Rising Sun alone and go through the dealers over the phone or Internet. Rising Sun still gets the business and I help the dealers that care enough to support the riders and bike owners. Sorry to hear you have a not so good dealer.

BTW, your bike looks great! How is the riding going?

:thumbsup:

awesome photo. i certainly dont have that type of stuff around the house. i'm jealous. i now have plastic on order. thanks for your help.

now if i can just stop that frontbrake from fading......

The front brake should work longer than ther rear. Change your brake fluid. If it's old, it will have acquired a lot of water and will boil at a much lower temperature. And of course, check for air in the lines. But many people forget about how brake fluid absorbs moisture over time.

:thumbsup:

11kfotos, if you work on your bike alone, invest in so called speed bleeders, they have one way valves built in and are absolutely worth the money

2Ply, maybe I was just lucky so far, always caught the right person at the right time?

the local (the other side of town is 1-2 hours one way) dude is more KTM and only off road oriented, and a little old fashioned when it comes to riders with intact X chromosomes :ride:

thank you for the compliment, but Skinny (the TX) is hubby's bike, she is so sweet and predictable

the 2.9 (the Thug) and Reflex (sewing machine) are mine

did not get to ride much lately, between home leave, working weekends and shopping for a house ... but our poor CRFs get to ride less and less, we take the trials trail riding, they make live sooo easy on tough trails

we bought a house yesterday, now remodeling will keep us from riding :thumbsup:

but the yard is big, as soon as the kitchen is done I'll ask for help setting up sections

after dealing with rising sun once, i will never deal with them again. They were rude and unprofessional. if they don't want to deal with the individual owners, they shouldn't advertise selling parts. And since they are the authorized GasGas parts distributor, i would think more than twice before buying another gasgas. Great bike, Poor choice for a US parts distributor. but that's just my experience with them. As 2ply recommends should i ever need parts again, i'll deal with the nice folks at lewissport

:ride: be gratefull you do not have to deal with Cycle Specialty in Fayetteville :applause:

it is unfair, all the great riding and all the great dealer seem to be on the west coast :thumbsup:

dealers and importers are only human

they all have their good and bad moments

the only time I talked to Mike from Tryals Shop in person,

he appeared to not even knowing his own homepage - which sure is not the case

2nd purchase with Ryan Young I was stuck on the phone with a total dislexic and I was in a hurry ...

I use Adrian Lewis at Lewisport USA in California. They are geared up for sales anywhere and are very up to date on what's going on with your bike. And they don't get grouchy over stupid questions. I can verify that.

should not have believed you, 2Ply

called Lewisport, no tried to call

1st attempt a female voice hung up between my 'good' and 'morning'

2nd attempt a male voice kept talking to someone in the room, ignoring me on the phone, not even a 'just a minute' or any other polite phrase

3rd attempt hung up without a word

4th-20th attempt bussy line

so I sent an email, Adrians answer: 'send credit card number, nothing used, no speedo, can get you the rest'

my reply: 'please tell me prices before I give you my card number'

he only sent some of the prices, so I asked again, for the rest of the items I want/need, this was 2 weeks ago, I still wait for prices

GREAT Service

Rising Sun asks a few pennies more, complete email reply within 1 hour every time, parts here the next day

guess what :thumbsup:

should not have believed you, 2Ply

called Lewisport, no tried to call

1st attempt a female voice hung up between my 'good' and 'morning'

2nd attempt a male voice kept talking to someone in the room, ignoring me on the phone, not even a 'just a minute' or any other polite phrase

3rd attempt hung up without a word

4th-20th attempt bussy line

so I sent an email, Adrians answer: 'send credit card number, nothing used, no speedo, can get you the rest'

my reply: 'please tell me prices before I give you my card number'

he only sent some of the prices, so I asked again, for the rest of the items I want/need, this was 2 weeks ago, I still wait for prices

GREAT Service

Rising Sun asks a few pennies more, complete email reply within 1 hour every time, parts here the next day

guess what :thumbsup:

Well, I have had some problems getting through too but nothing like that. I've sent a question about your problem and will see how long it takes to get an answer.

I sold my trail bike recently so now my 2001 GG280 is my only ride. For the time being it will have to be my Trail bike as well as my Trials bike. Do you know of any body who has fabricated a make shift seat for their Gasser? I think that would helpful on those longer trail rides as my neck and back tend to get tired from standing up while trail riding.

Hello-- this is Adrian at lewisport Usa-- I must firstly appologise for any customer that has any problems contacting us.

-- unfortunatly there are only 2 of us!! --and-- cannot awnser 3 phones at once whilst fixing a bike and selling a couple at the same time--ALSO!!-- everyone must please realise that what is your hobby that sometimes requires parts is a full time way of life to us( ie: its 9.29pm and we've been working on Lewisport since 7am) - but it is not capable of sustaining a financial living on its own -- so -- we run this business not only because of many years experience but also because we love doing it - sometimes however I must admit I wonder why! when I read comments like this!.

Apologies for anyone that has tried to get through and cannot.

- regarding the email on parts I immediately emailed you back with prices - I did tell you if you wanted anything sending I would need your credit card number - this is normal for any new account - no other emails were received back from you! (anyone that has dealt with us and knows us - knows that comments like this are not correct - we bend over backwards to help someone)!. we are very disappointed ourselves when something goes wrong! - We will be only to pleased to help you and supply you with the parts you need - if you sent another email as you say you did - we did'nt receive one - please send it again and we'll answer.

As far as getting hold of us - please call - if you get the answer machine - please leave us a message (we check the messages frequently) or if the phone is continually ringing then we are on the phone helping someone -at that point you can always email.

On a good note we will have someone else helping us shortly to help with the busy phones.

We appreciate all our customs and thank all of you for many years support!

Adrian & Mandy Lewis.

- regarding the email on parts I immediately emailed you back with prices -

objection

asked for 'kickstand complete or all parts

there is nothing on the bike' August 14

no answer whatsoever

never mind

I tried

and now expressed that I do not share the here common opinion, that you guys wear halos and Rising Sun has horns and hoofes

btw, I work at a beemer bike dealership with more phone lines than people willing to answer

I have ordered parts from Lewisport on several occasions and was very pleased with their service. I have friends who have bought bikes from Lewisport and their experiences were positive.

Ed