01' YZ426 Mods

I'm a new user to TT. I've owned 2 strokes for 35 yrs and bought an 01 426 from a friend to check out the 4 stroke scene. The bike rips, no doubt. My issues are typical. Have any of you found a way to deal with the weight? Any mods short of removing every other spoke would be good to know. Starting. Got it down, but...it still sucks. The 03 exhaust cam seems to help by eliminating a step so I'll scrounge up a service manual and do it. Have any of you tried any of that fibrous exaust wrap i see on many street bike header pipes? my little girl likes to take a spin with me ( in fact, she downright gets a case of the "ass" if I dont take her) but the pipe burned her on the leg once. This is absolutely a good enough reason to go back to a 2stroke. Any one found any good heat sheild remedies? Thanks

Mike

my little girl likes to take a spin with me ( in fact, she downright gets a case of the "ass" if I dont take her) but the pipe burned her on the leg once. This is absolutely a good enough reason to go back to a 2stroke.

4 stroke exhausts are hot, header wrap may help some, but not a lot.

Whats the BK mod?

Look at the upper right hand of the screen. You will see a search button. Type in BK mod and you will get LOADS of information. Basic answer, it modifies your accelerator pump to eliminate the bog.

maybe i just got lucky with my 426, but I dont even want to try the auto decompress cam. Mine starts on the first kick every time, and my buddy with a crf250 has to kick and kick and kick. you see the guys in MX/supermoto having so much trouble getting theirs started if they stall it, Even with the hot start still on the carb, I can mine started much quicker than them.

my biggest complaint about the starting is when I find TDC and then go a couple inches beyond it and then bring the kick starter back up top to kick it through. If I did'nt get that piston exactly where it needed to be, I'm greeted with a sudden stop half way through the kick. I broke my foot, heel,ankle,shin and knee back in 98 in a crash At Birch Creek Va. , and that sudden stop just kills that leg when it happens. I'm hoping the 03 cam mod helps eliminate that from happening anymore.

This is absolutely a good enough reason to go back to a 2stroke. Any one found any good heat sheild remedies? Thanks

Mike

Wrong! There is no good reason to go back to a 2stroke. The only good 2stroke is a PW50 for your girl.

For the exhaust, i don't know if they make it, but if the pipe is ceramic coated on the inside of the tube, and heat wrapped on the outside, you can ride for a couple hours, touch the pipe, and not get burned... just be careful of the muffler, because most of the heat will go there, as ceramic coating forces the heat to go down the exhaust instead of absorbing into the tube, so the muffler will be quite hot, but the head pipe wont be.

I guess I also got lucky on my bike, it starts every time, unless i try on the wrong stroke and get the stop in the middle...

Thanks. I don't know if the inside is coated or not. It's a BIG GUN Race series header and muffler. Maybe it'll work either way. Sounds like I'll definitely need to make sure my heat shield is in good shape on the right side number plate where it covers the exhaust.

I can only speak for the Yamaha. I've had my 01 426 for 18 mos. A friend of mine was the previous and original owner. He rode it and raced it alot. I have'nt had to do anything to it. Everything was in spec when we took it apart. I've done routine maintenance to include 1 fork and shock rebuild and FREQUENT oil changes. I think these bikes are as reliable as the old XR line was.