Sign in to follow this  

Top end parts whats better????

Personally, I prefer to stay with Honda. That being said, I don't have any experience with Wiseco. There is one thing to consider; proper break-in. Here's a good explanation:

Originally Posted by Chokey

Your break-in (two-stroke or four) largely depends on the type of piston you installed. A cast piston doesn't need any special treatment for break-in beyond the time it takes to seat the rings. Just ride easy for 10-15 minutes and go for it. That's why cast pistons are used as OEM equipment, because the manufacturers know that too many riders won't adhere to a specific break-in procedure.

A forged piston (Wiseco), on the other hand, must be carefully broken in. They require heat-cycles to release the trapped stress left in the metal from the manufacturing process. For a forged piston, that break-in guide that kx_rider53 posted is the correct way.

Here's the entire thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399973&parentpage=3

Thanks for the info but, I am looking for opinoins on life-span of the part. Given that they are properly broken in. Bikes are not my expertice but I do know on cars as far as longest lasting on a stock engine it is best to stick to factory specs and materials. This is what I have a stock bike aside from a pipe.

Again thanks for the info.

wiseco. they give more power and are very reliable if you treat them right.

and for your 90 cr, you should be able to get ahold of them for around 80 or 90 for a complete kit, not 120.?

I personally prefer Pro-X pistons because they are cheaper than the OEM Hondas and are the exact same thing....even the rings are interchangeable. I personally do not like Wisecos because I have had too many fall apart and wipe out my cylinder. Vertex pistons are also really nice but I believe they are a little more expensive. Just remember to deglaze the cylinder before putting the new top-end in so the rings will seat properly and use non-synthetic premix for breakin....go get em!!! :thumbsup::ride:

I buy OEM motor parts only.

WWW.SERVICEHONDA.COM

You will save 30-40% from service honda. They are slow for shipping, but just order a week or two before you need parts.

1990 OEM piston $64.74

1990 OEM rings $30.30

I would suggest you replace piston wrist pin as well, $10.57

This items are listed under "crankshaft"

+1 for pro-x. We run pro-x in all the sleds and bikes. Have had good luck with them and oem. Wiseco pistons last a long time also at the exspense of wearing your cylinder more than a stock piston. Also wiseco's seem to explode and do lots of damage.