Sign in to follow this  

Do I have to rebuild my engine now?

My first bike and I have about 20 hours on the hour gauge.

I was reading on another forum that 4 stroke pistons and valve trains are worn out by 20 to 50 hours.

The piston and rings need to be replaced and the valve train components need to be replaced.

Is what I read above true?

Is the schedule longer for the 230 since it has much less power than a 250 or 450?

I thought the 4 stroke could go at least 500 hours before a rebuild.

Thanks for the education.

ya im not sure what the exact rebuild hours are for the 230 but i know its way more than 20- 50 hours so you dont even have to think about that right now.

20-50 hours are for pretty much the bigger bikes. 250, 450 etc. Your 230 will last you a lifetime. So don'y worry about it, just go ride :ride: and have fun :thumbsup:

I just thumbed through my Honda Service Manual, and don't see a suggested interval for engine maintenance. I can however, tell you a little about my past three years experience with my 2003 CRF150 that is raced in flattrack.

After about the first 100 miles, (5 or 6 races) I checked the adjusting screw to valve clearance. Both IN & EX needed minor adjustments. I checked them again at about 300 miles (15 to 20 races) and no adjustment was needed. I didn't touch the cam chain tension at all. This ended year one.

Year two, I adjusted the cam chain tension per manual. Seemed as if it did not need it. About half way into season I checked adjusting screw to valve clearance, no adjustments needed. The bike at this time probably had the equivalent of 700 miles and 35 to 40 races, counting practice / play times.

Before year three stared, I installed a race cam and high compression piston. The original piston, rings, bore, cam, etc. where in excellent condition. All measurements were well with-in factory specs. No replacement would have been required, but I planed to mod the engine anyhow. The bike has only been raced 3 times so far this year, but has had quite a lot of practice / play time. No adjustments of any kind have been done since mod rebuild so far this year.

As you can see, a CRF150 or 230 can probably go 1000 miles or more with absolutely no adjustments at all. Even more if the bike is not raced. A wild guess for piston ring replacement would be 3000 miles, maybe more. Piston replacement could be as much as 7000 to 10000 miles.

Be advised that I change the oil every other race (20 to 30 miles) and clean the air filter after every race. So if you neglect oil and air filter maintenance, adjustments and replacements may be necessary more often. It's a crap game. Listen to your engine. If you hear unusual noises, stop the bike and do some maintenance. Don't put it off until next year. If you see smoke coming from the exhaust, it's time to replace the rings, or valve guides and seals. Check the oil every time you start the bike. If you only ride it 10 miles one day, check the oil again before starting it the next day. Change the oil regularly, every three tank fulls of gas. A quart of oil only costs $3. That $3 every other week or so will save you hundreds, maybe a thousand dollars down the road. Like the GM mechanic used to say on that old TV commercial ... "You can pay me now, or you can really pay me later."

As always, your conditions may vary. If you're a hard core trail rider, you could put 2000 miles or more a year on your bike. But that's what the off season (winter time) is for, tear downs and adjustments / replacements.

The motors in the 150/230's will last longer than you will own the bike. Then again the tranny didn't on mine.

A stock honda like the crf150/230, or any other small honda, with regular oil changes, regular cleaning, will probably last 15+ years... It'l lose compression, but it'l always start haha

20-50 hours on a 4 stroke honda? nah never, maybe a 2 stroke yamaha if youi have bad luck..

I put 20 hours on my bike in an average week

Those intervals you read are, as you have seen, for the MX bikes. And even then they are way shorter that what the average human being will do.

i have prob over 500 hours on mine and just got it rebuilt now its bored out has racing clutchs and its jetted =$700

My bike is coming up to 3000 miles. I did the BBK at ~1800 miles but it was certainly not because the piston needed it. Actually, everything looked pretty good in the engine when we took it apart.

The motors in the 150/230's will last longer than you will own the bike. Then again the tranny didn't on mine.

Ya dude what ever happened with that? Is the bike running right now??

im planning on rebuilding my top end around 35 hours, every 20 is a little excessive

20-50 hours are for pretty much the bigger bikes. 250, 450 etc. Your 230 will last you a lifetime. So don'y worry about it, just go ride :ride: and have fun :thumbsup:

exactly

Ya dude what ever happened with that? Is the bike running right now??

The bike is running fine, she is just 'a knocking that's all. I really think it's just a broken tooth on a gear. I brought it to a mechanic two days ago, this guy charges $54 an hour compared to Honda's $89 an hour. This guy has worked on 230's before unlike the Honda dealer. So this will be much cheaper. This guy is well trained, he knows his stuff, so I trust him. I don't trust Honda anymore. This guy would know more than all of those idiots at our dealer. Wow, I'm using "this guy" alot. Funny guy, he made fun of my suspension, he pushes down on the rear and he's like "Bounce, Bounce!" and he laughs. The way he talked, Honda only sends the bike specs to a place in Brazil and they make the bike, not just assemble, but make every piece. So really the bike isn't even made by Honda, just designed by them. Since 1995, the Xr's and CRF's were made like that. He said he'd be able to look at it in a week or so, then order the parts and fix her up. So maybe I'll have it back by the end of August.

Good news, got my motorcyle learner's the same day. So I've been riding the street bike into town for the last copuple days. Fun, fun.....and much faster than my CRF. :thumbsup: