Sign in to follow this  

04 Te 510

I have the opportunity to buy an 04 TE510 for $3750. While the electonic guage is not working, the owner says it probably has 800-1000 mile with probably 50-70 hours on it. The bike has been well taken care of but he says it was too much for him in the woods. He has some larger rear sprockets (big ones!) that come with the bike too along with the owners manuals etc..

My guess is that he had stalling problems with it in the mountains by the looks of the rear sprockets he was trying. It does seem to stall rather easy though and I know they got rid of the Mikuni the following year.

I've read a number of threads regarding stalling an it is a concern to me especially on the 04 with the older carb. If it was an 05 I wouldn't hesitate, with the FCR carb.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I will be doing some woods riding as well as fireroad etc. I was surprised when I rode it (stock gearing) The gearing is very short and tight ratio. I couldn't imagine going with a bigger rear sprocket unless I was playing around wih the counter as well. For fire roads etc, I would think I would want to drop to a 48t.

My other option is trying to find another used bike. I'm not in the market for new right now as I'm just getting back into offroad riding after being our of it for a while. I do have a line on an 06 TE610. Heavier but maybe just as good for fire roads and trails, obviosuly not the best woods bike though.

No idea about that bike but the te610 has a pretty wide ratio tranny, new TE250/450/510 ratios are closer, and the new TCs really have the ratios close together. PM me if you are interested in more info. I have been collecting that kind of info on a number of bikes.

The Mikuni carbs are not bad at all. The bad mouthing you hear about is mostly from people not willing to spend a day dialing in the jetting. I've got an 04 TC450 and have the carburation all sorted out. It would not stop me from buying one.

Jerry

Buy it, Easy to sort out the Mikuni. Great bike, I have one. I like the narrow seat ergonomics of the '04's. It is the Accellerator Pump pre-load that is most likely the culprit of the stalling issue. My Mikuni has been flawless.

I agree with Flame...buy it. Mine has been a great bike and no problems with the carb.