Sign in to follow this  

2006 Suspension Advice

Hi all,

Just bought the 06 250f - first bike in over 15 years and totally stoked. Looking for some advice on the suspension. Is the stock set-up decent enough to get dialed in, or should I be considering an upgrade to valving? I'm at 180lbs in gear, 40'ish, and don't plan on doing huge jumps (no more than doubles, if that). I'll be riding both track and trails, but mostly concerned about the bike handling best at the track. I talked to a couple of suspension shops and they both told me the 250F's stock suspension is pretty harsh and recommended a revalving (front and back). I'd much rather put money into the suspension than anything else at first, if needed.

I did a search, but nothing surfaced, so any ideas on what you 06 owners have done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm 180 and 55 years old. I love the stock suspension on my '06 and don't find it at all harsh. Replaced stock fork oil with 400cc of Honda 5W. Actually made my forks a bit stiffer, but clickers still give me a lot of options. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

i THOUGHT mine was sweet with just clicker work, until i had it set for my weight and ability, then, i realised id never felt good suspention until then, can hit anything as hard as i want, fall short on doubles, over jump, studders, logs (hurt) but doesnt buck you off, most things i can just sail over.

If you are really into it, get it done for sure, otherwise just go have fun and crack some smiles :thumbsup:

I think the stock suspension is fine and i ride and weigh a little more than you do. I don't race and just ride decent outdoor motocross tracks and its fine so far with the stock springs. Your mileage may vary though..........

I've been racing my 06 all year with the stock components. I changed the fork and shock oil every six weeks and I thought things were great. Then I decided to drop 10 pounds and get in shape. It was only then that I did find a little weekness with the stock setup when I started riding faster and a little harder than before. Just a little bit of stinkbug when braking, not much though and a first encounter with handlebar swap at speed.

I took my suspension to MB1 and told them what I was experencing on the track. They suggested a few parts along with the revalving for my weight (175), and ability (40+ Novice). Now I don't have the issues I noticed before and now I have to work on dealing with a bike that goes over and through stuff smoother and faster. It was a good investment, but only when I realized I needed it.

My advice, ride your bike with stock components, change the oil (and nitrogen) often. Only do the upgrade when you're ready. The Showa suspension is very good right off the showroom floor.

you might think stock susp with it adjusted good is awsome, i used to...but wait til you get it revalved and resprung (i mean most places charge 170 per end thats cheap)...good god it makes a night and day difference and you can acualy ride faster in some stuff thats super rough that you were slow in befor

i think properly tuned susp is the best mod money can buy for your bike

Thanks all. This is really helpful. I think I'll ride a bit, tune as per the links above, then do the upgrade in the near future. Really appreciate the replies.