Sign in to follow this  

return to pingers?

so right now i have an 04 crf450 an im thinkin about switching to a cr250. i went and sat on a new one and its feels significantly lighter than my 450. im just wondering how the power compares and if i really notice much of a difference in handling. to the people that have made the switch to 2 strokes did u like it or regret it?

from what ive heard the CRs are the weakest of the 250 2-strokes. so if you want the smallest gap in power i think you'll want to look at the KTM.

those arent that great of handling bikes tho are they? im not dead set on the honda but that is my preference. i know im pretty much gonna lose some power i just wanna know if ill be dissapointed in a 250

Since you want new, how about an '07 KTM 250SX? Updated frame, twin chamber forks, these look to be the goods. I've got an '05 250SX, it handles ok (tho a suspension revalve will improve this methinks) and then there's the power...........oh the power. :ride: The YZ and RM 250s are pretty good too. :thumbsup:

the power will be minimal. you'll have to remember that it isnt the same bike so it will be a lot different. also keep in mind when u fall on a 4 stroke it wont start very easily even with a hot start usully and a 2 will.

The cr250 is a 2003 engine if im not mistaken, the other brands have been updating their 2-strokes engines with the years. That said, I think you will be a little a little dissapointed with the CR if all you care is power. The handling is incredible on any 2 stroke, you will notice it, however you must a very god damn rider to make it count for the power difference. I did rode a 4 stroke, and now a 2 stroke in the trails, I don't regret it at all !

Can't you have both ? That would be sweet..

I went from a hog of a YZ426 to a 06 YZ250. I too was worried about power, but those fears were quickly relived by a giant 4th gear wheelie running down the trail. The vibration will take a little getting used to as will the lack of top speed compared to a 450, but everything else was exactly what I was looking for. The four stroke will be on the chopping block soon.

The cr250 is a 2003 engine if im not mistaken, the other brands have been updating their 2-strokes engines with the years. That said, I think you will be a little a little dissapointed with the CR if all you care is power. The handling is incredible on any 2 stroke, you will notice it, however you must a very god damn rider to make it count for the power difference. I did rode a 4 stroke, and now a 2 stroke in the trails, I don't regret it at all !

Can't you have both ? That would be sweet..

The cr250 got an almost complete makeover in '05. The plastics are the same but everything else was changed. The engine is all new (cases, crank, cyl etc...) the frame looks the same but is internally changed. The swingarm, linkage & of coarse the shock & forks have been changed. I have an '05 450 & an '05 cr250 & I like riding the 250 a lot more. The 450 feels like a tank to me. The 450 is a little easier to clear big jumps right out of a corner but I have a lot high corner speed on the 250.

It just depends on your riding style.

I would get the YZ or RM. both are neck and neck for bike of the year all the time. i rode an 05 RM250 and an 06 RM and the 06 is waaay peppy and hard to control because it wants to go but I heard the YZ is more four stroke like powerband so you would probably get the best of both worlds. I rode the YZ125 05 and that thing was amazingly fun and easy to turn.

Power-wise. you will initially feel that a 250 has more, cuz the power spikes so rapidly, and there is soo much more "snap" when on the pipe (in the powerband). On the dyno, the modern 250 2-strokes are very close to the 450's, but you'll really miss the bottom end power! It will take some getting used to, but getting good on a 2-stroke will make you a better rider overall (more rider input needed to stay on the pipe), also keep in mind that you will have almost no "engine braking", so youll get a lot better with the brakes too! I say go for it... Also, the newer Honda CR250's are plenty powerful (actually dyno out higher than all the others), they just lack bottom end, and are tougher to keep on the pipe - I'm a Honda guy too, but I'd say go for one of the Al framed YZ250's - theyre awesome bikes in every respect!!

I felt like I could control my YZ250 better than I could my friends CRF450. The biggest differences are weight and the power. But IMO I think you are better off waiting for the four strokes to get lighter. If you learn to use your 450 more to its potential than just think how you will be in 2007 when the 2008's come in and they are only 200 lbs!!! (lol) then they will be flickable.

i also wanna change cuz i think 2 strokes are easier to maintain. the yz sounds like a great bike but i couldnt imagine ridin blue since ive always had hondas lol. also im probly not gonna buy new i was thinkin 00 or 02 and up.

'01 CR's are considered by many to have one of the best 250cc 2-stroke engines Honda has produced. Honda changed the engine in '02 and many consider the '02 - '04 engines to have less low end grunt and snap compared to earlier models and especially compared to the '03 - up YZ. Although the current CR engine is fundamentally the same as the '02 model, Honda revised many aspects in '05 and it is reputed to be much more similar to the YZ now, although I haven't ridden one yet. If you're going to buy used, you might want to find a clean '05 - up model. Here are some interesting Japanese-English translations describing the mods for '05. The '06 models got BNG.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Your brand loyalty is going to lead you into a bad decision. The YZ's and RM's are by far the superior 2-stroke bike. The YZ's motor is amazing, and the RM's handling is great. Honda has nothing.

If Honda had the same reputation I would buy a Honda. I don't understand why people would buy an inferior bike just because of brand

Possibly. However, I have an exceptional Honda dealer with whom I've developed a very good relationship. They work hard to keep me satisfied and that is worth more than I can explain. I understand Honda suspension, fasteners, manuals, construction, etc. I also just like to tinker with my bike, even when it's running perfectly. So the fact that Honda parts seem to be much more readily available and more reasonbly priced in the comparisons I've made (4-stroke stuff) is important to me. I placed a parts order with my dealer this morning and they will all be here in two days with no shipping charges. Plus, my dealer matches all of Service Honda's online prices which are usually the best around.

BTW, I agree that the '05 - up YZ is an excellent bike and I'm considering picking up a used one soon. The worst thing I can say about Yamaha is that their service manuals are pathetic compared to Honda. Did I mention that I also have a really good Yamaha dealer....

A buddy of mine that runs the 40+ just traded his 05 crf450 in for the new yz250 and loves it. It's lighter more nimble and no power band hit like the older 2 strokes. I rode it waiting for the p/b to hit which it never did. Granted it will take him awhile to become ajusted to the 2 stroke ways again but he is a very happy camper for sure. I to am thinking on the switch myself from the 05 450 back to a 2 stroke. We have, it seems, alot of thumpers switching back to 2 strokes around here lately.. Alot easier on us older guys LOL