Sign in to follow this  

offroad lights

anybody ever mounted additional lights for nighttime offroading. I don't want to remove the stock lighting but add extra lights on another switch.

Which bike? I run an 8" single HID on the forks in place of the stock headlight and then a pair of HID helmet lights. I love to ride at night, even enjoyed the night racing and never have wanted it to be day when I was riding,,,at least not from lack of light.

PICT0072.jpg

Here is my $15 Wal*Mart solution:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2980/dsc00665largelc0.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5798/dsc00667largeem2.jpg

I bought a pair of cheap lights from Wal*Mart and I took the reflectors off the hangers that are below the front fender. I then drilled a larger hole where the reflectors were to fit the mounting bolt on the lights through. I also took a trip to the hardware store and replaced the nuts that came on the lights with nylon lock nuts.

anybody ever mounted additional lights for nighttime offroading. I don't want to remove the stock lighting but add extra lights on another switch.

use a relay for them. the charging system on the drz should be able to run them provided you don't have many other electrical accessories installed.

I bought a pair of cheap lights from Wal*Mart and I took the reflectors off the hangers that are below the front fender.

So how much light do you get from them?

Definately 15 dollars worth. It is a little less than a normal high beam's worth each. Pretty sure each one is 55watts. Try them and return them to Wal*Mart, I exchanged the first pair after I dropped one.

Definately 15 dollars worth. It is a little less than a normal high beam's worth each. Pretty sure each one is 55watts. Try them and return them to Wal*Mart, I exchanged the first pair after I dropped one.

If you have added two 55watt lights.. you are severally taxing the charging system, neither the stator or rectifier will last long like that. Cheap ain't always the better, or cheapest solution (check the price of a replacement stator)

I mounted a pair of HID helmet lights :thumbsup: added a relay system to my lighting so I get full charging system voltage to the light vs 11 or so through the wiring system, and added a good 65 watt H4 bulb to the OEM headlight.

I use one of these http://www.giftsandhome.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Hand-free-5/p/2000000011004/3000000152738/bg/1000956018.htm

i broke the clips at the top off and put on 2 strips of velcro and it sticks on the bottom of the peak of my helmet. So far i haven't had it fall off and it's great to have the light where your looking. It's also great for tracking dear the white led light makes the blood more visible. :thumbsup:

Your going to have to keep the revs up just to keep the battery from discharging. That is a lot of stress on the charging system

I thought the stock stator put out 200 watts?

HMMM?

If you have added two 55watt lights.. you are severally taxing the charging system, neither the stator or rectifier will last long like that. Cheap ain't always the better, or cheapest solution (check the price of a replacement stator)

I thought it was also. :thumbsup: Was thinking of a 80/80w PIAA H4 headlight. :ride:

The output is the same between the LTZ and DRZ ... 200 watts (except the kicker 150 watts) ... the difference is the harness ...

It does but at an rpm above idle. If you have two 55 watt lights plus the 60 watt stock light you're now talking draining 170 watts. Not sure at what rpm your stator puts that out but at anything under it and you will be draining your battery.

80/80 is only using half of that power.

Which bike? I run an 8" single HID on the forks in place of the stock headlight and then a pair of HID helmet lights. I love to ride at night, even enjoyed the night racing and never have wanted it to be day when I was riding,,,at least not from lack of light.

PICT0072.jpg

Wow a Suzuki KLX400!

If I was out to add a light I would put 1 or 2 depending on $ of the Trailtech H.I.D. MR16's on.

If I was out to add a light I would put 1 or 2 depending on $ of the Trailtech H.I.D. MR16's on.

I run a pair of those on my helmet :thumbsup:

Brand new spare light from Volvo year 1976 = 15:- USD :crazy:

Bulb 150 W :ride:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=8825

:ride::ride::cry:

that actually looks pretty good from the front :thumbsup: I have never heard of a car with 150w lights, but I would love to have to option of firing that many photons down range when the conditions warrant it.

I wonder what options there are for led headlights. They draw so much less current that they are perfect for bikes. I have heard they work ok on sleds but havent used one myself.

yes 200 watts MAX, at well above idle. And you have an OEM 55watt light, plus the ignition system, plus recharging the battery.

What that adds up to is a smoked Stator :thumbsup:

SOOOO, where do you get a hotter stator?

I saw some sweet lights on the ADVENTURE WORKSHOP site for one of the big Beemer's and was thinking about it.

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/hella_performance_lighting.htm

The stock S on HI beam is pretty bright tho.

Somebody post a pic of those helmet lights on your noggin!