Sign in to follow this  

Is it tough to plate a dirt bike in Missouri???

I'm looking at dual sporting a new WR450f in Missouri.

However, I'm not sure what I'm up against. First of all, how is Missouri when it comes to plating a dirt bike? Some states don't seem so tough...while others are very tough. Anyone with real world experience?

Also, does anyone know what the minimum requirements are (horn, turn signals, high/low beam, etc.) to plate a dirt bike in MO?

I know the one thing they will look for....paid sales tax!

Thanks!

Its very difficult in Missouri, but not impossible. If the bike was titled street legal when its brand new, its very easy, but once its titled non-street legal, you will have to jump through all types of hoops to get it switched.

I purchased an XR650R new. Before I went to get it titled I install the Baha Designs Dual Sport Kit http://www.bajadesigns.com/ which had everything you need except a rear view mirror.

Next you will have to have DOT approved tires, they cannot say "Not For Highway Use" on them.

Once you get your inspection and apply for a new title, your new title will no longer have the "Not For Highway Use or Off Road Use Only" on it and you will have a street legal ride.

When you go for your inspection don't go to a motorcycle dealer, they tend to be very strict with the inspection. Talk around and try to find an auto repair shop that will do M/C inspections, they tend to be a little less strict.

When I got mine inspected I just buffed off the "Not For Highway Use" off the knobbies and the guy that inspected mine never even checked. All he did was check the lights and the horn and wrote out the inspection.

Jim

Doesn't sound too bad...Thanks for the information!

missouri is one of the easiest states to get your bike plated in. how old is it? if it's new, go to your local dept of revenue office with your certificate of origin, last years personal property tax receipt, and proof of insurance. they will treat it like a new car and give you a two year plate. if for some reason your office figures out the "not for highway use" stuff, just register the title. go back in two or three days (before the paper work comes out of jeff city) and tell them you decided to put a plate on it after all. have all your insurance and tax stuff with you. be sure to bring the paper work from when you registered the title. all they really want is your money.

if the bike is not a current model year, the inspection requirements are pretty simple. working head light and tail light. electric horn (wire one to your battery using a two wired kill button) and the tires must not say "not for highway use". they also can not say "for highway use" or be altered. if the inspector tells you you must have blinkers and all that crap, go somewhere else. he doesn't know what he's doing. how many harley customs do you see with blinkers? i had a buddy have a dealer tell him he needed a metal tank!!!