Sign in to follow this  

Question for Arizona

I just bought a 2003 CRF 450 and it doesn't have a title. Is this normal? I just moved here from California where everything had a title. A few people have told me this is normal. I just wanted to get my facts straight. Thanks.

It should have a title, but someone prolly lost it somewhere in the past.. You dont actually need one here in AZ since the DMV never needs to know you have the bike for any reason at all.... I generally wont buy a bike w/out a title, only cuz I cant legally prove ownership if it's ever stolen or something, besides this, it's useless on a dirtbike here in AZ (except of course it could mean it is a stolen bike...).

If you want a title, you can always apply for an abandoned vehicle title. It is very cheap to do. They send out an inspector to verify that bike's condition, then they send out notice in an attempt to find the owner -- just a legal thing for about 30 days. If no one answers the notice, you get a clean title for the vehicle in your name. I had to do this once for a bike I bought from a friend who had lost the title.

ben

OR your friend can just go to the DMV and pay 7ish buck for a replacement title (as long as the title is in his name). Did this with a car I sold and had lost the title of.

The normal thing to do is call the DMV or police dept and have them run the VIN to see if it's stolen. If it isn't don't worry about it.

I think any newer bike, on or offroad should have a title in AZ. I remember my brother's old XR500 did not because of age. I would not personally feel comfortable without one. I am not sure what the process is for getting one anymore. If you are only riding track, though, as previously stated it's not really a requirement to have a title. But it seems like AZ is becoming more like Cali(most unfortunate) and some places you ride may want to see an offroad license plate. This would require a title.

Thanks everyone. It isn't stolen, but I'm still not comfortable without the title. I will figure out how to get one.

OR your friend can just go to the DMV and pay 7ish buck for a replacement title (as long as the title is in his name). Did this with a car I sold and had lost the title of.

WHat do you mean "7ish buck"?

I am in a different dilemna with this 02 KTM I just bought from an ex co-worker(Gene). He bought the bike slightly used from a guy in Colorado. He said he never got a title from the guy because Co. does not require one. Is this true?

Anyway now I need the title to get a license plate and I'm getting the run-around on it....Gene said he has contacted the guy and he is getting a notarized bill of sale from the ORIGINAL OWNER. Then Gene will take that and the bike to get a title issued. I see a problem with this as I know the AZ DMV is now going to want tax $$:D

Both Gene and I had our own Bill of Sale's that I had him sign when I bought the bike. I made sure it stated the "Bike is paid in full and no further monies is owed to Gene _______."

I just hope he doesn't expect me to pay more $$ as the agreement was for a certain amount of $$ which I paid (I should have held out some....:worthy:) I don't want this to damage our friendship as Gene is already getting tired of me asking him (it's been over 3 weeks), but I CANNOT DUAL SPORT the bike w/o a plate and he doesn't seem to really care. :prof:

Any advise?

Been here in AZ for 2 years now so take this as just my experiences and not gospel. Yes your bike should have a title if it's an AZ bike originally. There is no DMV here it is the MVD and yes they should know about your bike as you are required to have a off road plate for your bike. There is much debate on wether it actually has to be attached but it should be on your persons none the less. Private party sales are still not taxed (like in CA) here all they want is the registration $12 (I think). If it's been 14 days since the sale there will be a late fee as well. Unfortunately this place is becoming more and more like CA regulations, etc.

I personally would be leary of anyone selling a bike without a title without a darn good excuse (fire). If they were not responsible enough to get or keep a title how responsible were they with the maintenace of the bike your buying. Yes I know they say it's easy to get a replacement title from the MVD. Well if it's so easy why did they not just do it. If anything these people and the (salvage) title people need to understand that their equipment is not as valuable as a properly papered equipment. So the price should be reflective of this.

One more thing if you ride in other states (ie., CA) you probably want to get the title so you can get the registration. In CA if you are caught without out of state registration and no OHV sticker you will be required to buy a temporary OHV sticker. With valid out of state registration (ie., plate) no OHV sticker is necessary.

The rant is done thank you for listening.

No. But having plated a bike in CO I can tell you that it does require a title. (so assuming the bike had a CO plate at some point in time - it had a title to go with it. however if it was never CO plated - then no title required) (obviously)).

I buy and sell a few bikes a year in AZ..Everything has a title..Even the PW80 I bought and sold had a title and an RV plate with it..MVD types in the VIN and gets the history of the vehicle from its original sale date including selling price. Thats what they base the registration fee on. Out of state purchases of used vehicles will be subject to sales tax..Important thing to remember if ya think you got a deal on something out of state. Out of state vehicles will be required to have a vehicle inspection done by MVD to verify the VIN and any matching numbers, motor, etc. My advise is not to buy any vehicle w/o a title. IN AZ you can call the sheriffs dept and they will run the VIN for you if you are nice.

Sometimes the title is not available. The owner can get a bond, like insurance to guarantee the title. I'm not sure about the details on that. I bought one bike that came that way. It was a legal document by MVD. I also verified the VIN to be sure it was not stolen.

Be careful so ya dont get ripped off.

I would not buy a newer bike like that without a title. I have an older YZ250 that I bought cheap and fixed up and ride all the time,in that case the title was no big deal.The price of the bike was lower because there was no title.The only issue I have with it is if I want to take it to Mexico I have no papers to show the Mexican border dudes,and that is a problem.

There is no DMV here it is the MVD and yes they should know about your bike as you are required to have a off road plate for your bike.

You ARE NOT required to have an off road plate in Arizona,that is bs...

Thanks everyone. It isn't stolen, but I'm still not comfortable without the title. I will figure out how to get one.

Go to the MDV and get the paperwork for a replacement title. Better to have a title in case you want to sell it, someone steals it, or you need to insure it. I think you can get the paperwork online also.:worthy:

I would not buy a newer bike like that without a title. I have an older YZ250 that I bought cheap and fixed up and ride all the time,in that case the title was no big deal.The price of the bike was lower because there was no title.The only issue I have with it is if I want to take it to Mexico I have no papers to show the Mexican border dudes,and that is a problem.

You ARE NOT required to have an off road plate in Arizona,that is bs...

Unfortunately you are mis-informed and are steering the person requesting help in the wrong direction. Here is a quote from the following site.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp

Please note the underlined and bolded information.

Applying for Title and Registration

When you buy a vehicle, Arizona law requires that you apply for a title within 15 days of purchase. If your vehicle was registered in another state and you wish to operate it in Arizona, you must register it here as soon as you become an Arizona resident (See “Resident Definition”).

Most vehicles may be registered for either one or two years at a time. (Some vehicles must be emission tested every year, and are therefore not eligible for two year registration.) Permanent registration will be issued for the following:

* Noncommercial trailers with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than 6,000 lbs (one-time $125 registration fee)

* Commercial trailers with a declared GVW of more than 10,000 lbs (one-time $800 registration fee)

All-terrain and off-road recreational vehicles that operate only on dirt roads located in unincorporated areas of Arizona must be titled and have a plate, but are exempt from registration and insurance requirements.

I think the key may be here:

dirt roads located in unincorporated areas of Arizona

I am not sure,but i think they are talking about rural areas,like crown king,or young,etc....where a bike will be ridden on roads.I ride my dirt bikes off-road,and that may be the distinction.I just registered a WR500 that was from out of state,and the woman at MVD said I could have a plate if i wanted one,but it was not required.Of course,I declined the plate because I do not need it.I would love to know what the bottom line is here,as i ride and have for years off road in AZ(25 years) and have only had an RV plate on one bike,and it was on it when i bought it.Also,none of the guys I ride with have plates,well one guy does but he thinks it looks cool.....:thumbsup:

I think the key may be here:

dirt roads located in unincorporated areas of Arizona

I am not sure,but i think they are talking about rural areas,like crown king,or young,etc....where a bike will be ridden on roads.I ride my dirt bikes off-road,and that may be the distinction.I just registered a WR500 that was from out of state,and the woman at MVD said I could have a plate if i wanted one,but it was not required.Of course,I declined the plate because I do not need it.I would love to know what the bottom line is here,as i ride and have for years off road in AZ(25 years) and have only had an RV plate on one bike,and it was on it when i bought it.Also,none of the guys I ride with have plates,well one guy does but he thinks it looks cool.....:thumbsup:

Fair enough. So to the original poster check with the MVD on wether it needs to be titled and plated. :smirk: All my 5 of my bikes have plates as I was not given a choice when I registered them. I do not have any actually installed on the bikes as I do not want to make holes in the plastics but they are carried in a backpack when we ride. :devil:

I think when you title a bike, quad, or whatever, they give you a plate, even though it's not 'registered'. There is no sticker with the year & month of registration. It's something to do with titling the vehicle, & it does give you the option of registering it later.. making it street legal.

Some of the forest roads require licenses. They are usually the more travelled ones & more improved. I've never had any of my unlicensed riding partners get stopped when riding a stretch of main road, but it could happen. It's not that hard to do (make a bike street legal in az), insurance isn't that much, so if a person is planning on any road running, it seems to me it would be a good ounce of prevention to just pick up the registration.

scotty