Sign in to follow this  

Gas Gas 300 vs. KTM 300 xc(w)

as for their differences, all i know is that the gas gas has a 6th gear which would be good for the pavement/dirt roads i hit every now and then. as for the rest im looking for input.

I would suggest that you try out both bikes as its probably the best way to find which you prefer.

wish i could. KTMs are rare enough around here. never even seen one on the trail. as for Gas Gas..... 90% of people dont know what it is.

but i love the idea of a 300 2-stroke for off-road. i cant think of a better setup for myself unless they were to make a light weight 450 that rarly needs valve adjustments (aprilia maybe?)

I have heard that the Aprilia needs rebuilding every 5 minutes because its so fine tuned so probably not the best idea !

You could go on the KTM website and search for a dealer.

I've got an 04' 300 EXC. My dad's buddy has an 05' GG 300. Prior to that, he's had about 3-4 KTM 300's. He likes the bike a lot and thinks the suspension is a little better than the KTM. He said the 6th gear really hasn't helped much since the overall gearing is about the same between the 2 bikes.

The biggest issue he has is parts availability. He has a dealer but he can't just go down there and get what he wants. Also, aftermarket parts are not as abundant.

I switched to a 300 XCW this Summer, nothing short of amazing for Single Track, ect.

I ride with a guy that has a gas gas 300 not sure of the year, maybe a year or two old? Never rode it, but everyone else in our group raves about the suspension on it.

My KTM parts are readily available, dealers, mail order, ect...

However he has a hard time getting his gas gas parts, something to consider.

Gas gas is more low cost bike, means it's better to keep it for 2 years, no more. You have also to buy an adjustable vave control. It's amazing to see the difference with one's which missed. Your bike will be a tractor on hard sections and very easy to use in tigh sections.

KTM 300 2006, a very good bike even if i hate this rear susp. with a major problem met from long time with such bike, pipe. Not for performance but fixing. Austrian guys should re-thinked this issue asap !

[and there was a artical about KTM-300 Vs GG-300, but now I can't find it on the same webside]

I've got this article if anyone wants it- just PM me and I'll send it.