Sign in to follow this  

My first race...

Heres the story on my first and second race:

I entered my first race on July 2nd at Ace motox park in the 13-15 yo 16'' class. I was nervous that morning, I couldn't eat anything and felt weird. When we got there I was dazed and still very nervous. I was comfortable on the track but was nervous about the start. I registered and walked over to the track...and saw they had totally changed the track..&%$#@!. It was different than what I was used to. I practiced the measly 3 laps b4 the race and got ready for my first moto. It was over 100 degrees on the track and I had no shade to sit under at my pit. I drank bottle after bottle of water trying to hydrate. My race came up and I got on the gate. I picked my gate on impulse and looked up, there was a tough block right in front of me. I had no chance to move. The thirty second girl put up the board ( she was really hot btw :thumbsup: ) and she turned it sideways. When I saw the gate dropped I dumped the clutch and took off. I was banging bars with someone on 150 all the way to the first turn. I went too far inside and got smashed into a barrel. I was not in a very good position I started to get weak and faint and couldn't hang on. There were kids behind me but they weren't in my class... :cry: I finished last in my class... :ride: But I knew I could redeem myself in my second moto. Thats when I started to get sick. I lost my peripheral vision an felt like fainting. I decided not to race my second moto and went home. When I got home I puked, and puked, and puked...

So that sucked but, how many people win their first race... :ride:

I have already raced my second race (July 23rd) I'll post about that another day,( I did much better) Im tired and am going to bed...

It sounds like you might have been dehydrated. That will do nasty things.

How many win their first race? Not many I would assume. Keep at it. It'll get better.

heh hah!! we have all been through it, keep at it and dont forget to use second gear off the starting line, and go like hell.

yeah, lol

Second gear is too tall for the starts. ITs a really hard pack shell dirt mix, almost as hard as cement... :thumbsup:

Try sitting back a bit on the seat to give your rear wheel more traction if it's like a concrete start. Feet down if possible.. in front of the pegs. I guess if you're starting in first, you're going to need to upshift over gate pretty quickly so maybe left foot on the peg.

I start in second on my DRZ all the time. Throttle about halfway up. Clutch pulled in so it just grabs then I let it out just a hair. When the gate drops.. I hammer the throttle and slip the clutch out smoothly... I try never to just dump the clutch on a start.

Try it a few times in practice and see if you can getting pulling hard off the gate. I weigh about 185 so unless you're heavier than me, it should work for you. Good luck!

I weigh 160-165 and plus my bike is geared up so 2nd starts are out of the question. I Feather the clutch not dump it and quickly shift into 2nd and wind it out to the first turn about (75 feet)... :thumbsup:

my bike is geared up so 2nd starts are out of the question.

Understood. That would do it. Mine is stock gearing.

next time ride with a camelback duh

I race MOTOCROSS not enduro or hare scrambles. I suffered from heat exhaustion. Not dehyration. I drank plenty that day (and all) that week. I have enough time to come off the track and between motos drink and rest. Now I drink gatorade and have an easy up for shade.

Easy on the gatorade, it has tons of sugar. Drink water then have some quality electrolytes without all the other BS gatorade has. Check out some of the drinks at GNC and the vitamin shop if your serious about proper hydration. You can also get some good home brew recipies that work from the mountain bike web sites, since a lot of those guys are cheapskates. Try dirtragmag.com