Sign in to follow this  

klr 250 torque wrench ?

can anyone suggest what kind of torque wrench and extensions to use to adjust valve clearances. seems awfully tight in there even with a box-end wrench. TIA

Harbor Freight has an awesome 1/4 drive torque wrench that is just the ticket for torquing down the cam caps and valve cover. I believe it is $28.99, if it's not on sale.

Is that for one of the Pittsburgh brand torque wrenches? I saw the 3/8" drive on sale for $13.

Harbor Freight has an awesome 1/4 drive torque wrench that is just the ticket for torquing down the cam caps and valve cover. I believe it is $28.99, if it's not on sale.

When It comes to something like a torque wrench, buying the cheap china crap is a really bad idea. Atleast get a craftsman torque wrench. Snap-on or MAC would be even better.

When It comes to something like a torque wrench, buying the cheap china crap is a really bad idea. Atleast get a craftsman torque wrench. Snap-on or MAC would be even better.

That would be my assumption, too, and I typically get Craftsman for the decent quality at a decent price. But, I haven't heard anything other than positive remarks about the cheap Harbor Freight torque wrenches. So, do you know of any horror stories with these torque wrenches or are you just assuming that cheap = bad news?

I wouldn't run screaming from the garage at the thought of a Harbor Freight 1/4" drive torque wrench for cinching down a rocker-arm lock nut. Although such wrenches may not be calibrated by the National Bureau of Standards, I'd expect 'em to be, "close enough for government work."

Quality tools are beautiful and a joy forever (if you don't lose 'em); but . . . the affordability of Harbor Freight, etc., tools remains mighty seductive . . . I've exotic tools I'd never justify at "legitimate" tool maker prices.

Sears, for better or worse, features lots of made-in-China tools, nowadays.

I ain't proud of it, but . . . I've NEVER used a torque wrench on a rocker-arm lock nut, myself; just my calibrated wrist, hoping to apply enough torque to keep the nut from loosening, without stripping the threads . . .

Risky? Reckon so, although I've experienced no disaster (knock on wood!), yet. However, a club member, accomplished competitive rider, had his KTM EAT a lock nut . . . the nut disappeared, and . . . he can't find it, YET! Although he's disassembled the engine, where, oh where, can the missing lock nut be?

I suggested he may have dumped it with an oil change, but he has a magnetic plug that should have caught it . . .

Good luck on adjusting the valves; let your conscience (and you pocketbook) be your guide, regarding your torque wrench, if any!

I have bought many tools from Harbor Freight. They are fine for what they are but while some of the stuff is pretty consistent and good quality, other products they sell are not. I know nothing of the torque wrench they sell.

You could always test whatever you buy, sometimes I do. DVMs, tire pressure guages (sp), and all kinds of stuff to test for accuracy across its stated range 5psi, 30psi, how repeatable, etc.

If you could borrow a scale you can trust you can always test whatever you wind up with. If it is 6" long and you put 10lbs of force on it that is 5 ft lbs...

Gentlemen,

I had the same short-sighted, anti Harbor Freight concept about their torque wrenches. That is until I bought one. When I took it into work and ran it on the calibration jig and it was right on the money at mid range and within 3% set near high and low ends, I decided it was a keeper.

Mine was on sale for $19.99 and came with a plastic storage case.

Basically it fits the heading of "works good, lasts long time!" That's based on first hand experience, not preconceived beliefs and conjecture.

I bought the 1/2" drive yesterday on sale for $13.99. FWIW, the employee (who had to go get another box of the 1/2" to stock the shelf) said they sell a ton of the 1/2" drives and he did not know of any coming back or problems with them. He also said they sell very few of the 3/8 or 1/4 torque wrenches.