Sign in to follow this  

diagnosing fall damage

I'm racing and cross a berm so my '05 CRF250R was wheels-above-seat with the motor revs fairly high for a short time. Blue smoke came out exhaust and I could not restart it. I think the smoke is from crankcase oil getting past the piston rings and if I clean the plug and have good compression it's OK to ride. Any advice would be great.

Nothing like hearing from gurus...

ya it sounds like oil is getting somewhere it isnt supposed to.. are ur gaskets still ok? that happened to my friends dads quad, the gaskets went bad and it was pouring out white/blue smoke, and oil was leaking from the gaskets.

Thanks for your comments.

It's clear some oil reached the combustion chamber. I just want to learn if this is normal when the motor runs for a few seconds with the crankcase is slightly above the cylinder head.

There's no info on this in the manual but I would think this position of the bike happens all the time with falls and crashes.

Thanks again.

Yes, this is normal when the bike is in this position, as the oil has made its way into the breather and has been sucked back into the intake. Run the bike for a few minutes and I'll bet that the smoke will go away :thumbsup:

We'll give it a try tomorrow (Tuesday). Thanks for the encouragement and the breather explanation. Any reason to mess with the plug first? Probably not if it starts, even after a few more kicks than usual.

I couldn't figure how anything substantial could happen from one inversion although the motor did rev up a bit while it was prone.

Thanks again.

Nope, don't worry about the plug. Run the bike enough to clear the oil out of the cylinder and then run the bike hard fo awhile to get everything cleared out. You'll be fine :thumbsup:

You are absolutely correct! We got the bike started and the blue smoke slowly decreased - it gave puffs after deceleration as oil was sucked back from the pipe - but it seems to be fine again. Topped the oil up and changed the air filter, and off to the track this weekend - as long as it isn't toooo hot.

It was great to get your experienced input - it saved me a visit to a repair shop and then who knows what??

Many thanks! Ride safely!