Sign in to follow this  

Front brake broken after crash?

Hi, my son crashed on his '02 KX65 and it looks like the brake lever/throttle hit the ground pretty hard. Now his front brake doesnt' work at all. I thought that maybe some air could have made it's way into the brake line, so I replaced the brake fluid. I bled the brake, and it still isn't working. It's weakly pumping out fluid at the bleeder valve, but it has absolutely no pressure at the lever. Anyone know what could have happened to it?

Thanks in advance.

Check out the plunger on the master cyclinder. This is the part that gets pushed in when pulling on the brake. You should be able to buy a rebuild kit. Ive had to do it on one of my old bikes

You may want to try taking the hose and lid off(one at a time) and fill the master cylinder with fluid(to make sure there's no air). I've had to do that before.

when you have the reservoir cap off and pump the brakes, does it look like fluid is coming back out?

try taking the caliper off, then push the piston(s) back into the caliper (slightly). that will push fluid and air out the top, then close the caliper by pumping the brake. repeat untill there is pressure.

the hoses may have also expande, which causes them to strech while under pressure.

Yeah if I take the cap off and give the lever a good squeeze, the brake fluid will squirt over the top. I'll try out the suggestions you guys gave. Thanks.

My son has an 05' KX-65 and his did the same thing after a crash. replaced the plunger and seals. Just beware, that system is a Bear to prime again. thought I was never going to get it primed. Was so bad that I actually thought I might have damage to the cylinder itself. But it is just a pain to get the prime back. any air at all will keep it from working. good luck

I've also bent a disc and lost all brakes. The bent disc wobbles enough to push the pistons back in the caliper, but not enough to lock up the wheel. Have a look.