Sign in to follow this  

85 XT250--Reliable old bike?

Just had a look at an older xt, don't see much on these on the yamaha forum. Wondering about picking it up as an old bush beater for relatives/friends etc up for a visit.

Took it for a short rip, runs good. Swing arm a bit sloppy, though.

Any advice or direction pointing would help me out, thanks

several friends have had XT's and they were OK bikes, no issues that I know of. Just don't be fooled into thinking they are modern offroad bikes.

Well, there was no 85 XT250. A little history...the 250 was essentially the same from 80 through 83. Then, Yamaha totally re-did it, and the '84 XT250 became basically what would become the XT350 in 1985.

In '85, it got the bigger cylinder, bigger forks and a front disc brake.

Since then, it got new graphics and probably updated wiring as time went by, but not much, if anything, else.

They did make an 85 xt 250 in europe through the 80's and into the 90's i beleive. They put out about 29hp. Good bikes till the head lets go. All the ones that i have seen that have had the head let go(valve drop) were run in the bush at low rpm's so the oil pressure was very low and it didn't force enough oil up into the head(350's and 200's and 225's) to lube the cam's. Also make sure the vales are set properly. Other than that the damn engine is a tank. think they bored it out to make the 350. that means same tranny and shafts. Means at the lower hp it should ladst much longer.

my buddy has one that he uses just for ice, the thing starts up in like the first kcik, and its pretty fast, just extremely loud