Sign in to follow this  

505sx-f anyone?

I have put a deposit on one, but they will not be available until March

I'm looking forward to hearing some ride reports as well. Seems KTM is keeping there actual delivery date under wraps. I'm sure the dealers are getting hammered about calls on all the bikes and it usually works better to have a later delivery date then ship early instead of the other way around. The test on the new 450 is on the Transworld site and Moen mentiones delivery in October. That's a month or so before expected. I'd be surprised if the 505's aren't delivered before Christmas.

The 505 should be the exact same price as the 450. It's only like 23cc difference according to KTM's site. If it costs anymore than the 450 then you are getting ripped. What more are you getting? They both have a cylinder and piston. It does not cost anymore to make a 505.

I agree they should sell for the same price, but the 505 is $200 more MSRP, its all about what the market will pay. The March delivery for the 505 is not rumor it is fact, KTM doesn’t have the capacity to run all of the bikes at once, so they try to get more popular ones out first.

The March delivery for the 505 is not rumor it is fact, KTM doesn’t have the capacity to run all of the bikes at once, so they try to get more popular ones out first. - mhr650

I'll bet you $5 they'll be here before that. :thumbsup:

I could use a new goggle lens.

Have deposit on a 505 also, dealer told me beginning of march, but said the bikes are so hot (450-505) that he hopes KTM bumps up the production date at little...One thing is for sure if you were a nationally ranked pro wanting to race them in the outdoors next year the bike would show up at our door step, I bet 1st week in Feb at the latest.

I am not going to be impressed with the 505 or the new 450 until someone tells me they have 200+ hours on it without a problem...

I put 42 hours on my RFS and it needed $1000 in repairs (piston, rings, valves, valve guides). I think the 505 will be great, but for how many hours? I also would be worried about first year jitters and bugs. Look at the first year for the 450 SX... talk about problems! AND they even used the same bottom end they had used for years! The SXF is a totally different machine than the past. I would look for an 08... get all the bugs out... plus, I would rather have a kick starter and an auto clutch than a E-Start only.... unless that e-start comes with EFI... then we are TALKING!!

with about 470 - 480cc on tap, i believe most guys would be using the torque alot more than high rev power, and thus lower maintenance cost.

The new SXF engines are built to be rev bikes, not old school down low torque bikes like the RFS bikes were. My guess is that there will be major work that needs to be done for a MX racer after 30 hours... valves, piston, rings.

KTM does not put out garbage. They are patient. I had a 520sx 2002 and never touched it for 50+ hours. I sold it due to injury and have been on a honda ever since. I miss the air box and sano attention to detail. I want back in.

I am not going to be impressed with the 505 or the new 450 until someone tells me they have 200+ hours on it without a problem...

I put 42 hours on my RFS and it needed $1000 in repairs (piston, rings, valves, valve guides). I think the 505 will be great, but for how many hours? I also would be worried about first year jitters and bugs. Look at the first year for the 450 SX... talk about problems! AND they even used the same bottom end they had used for years! The SXF is a totally different machine than the past. I would look for an 08... get all the bugs out... plus, I would rather have a kick starter and an auto clutch than a E-Start only.... unless that e-start comes with EFI... then we are TALKING!!

I have over 250 hours on my 450, oil changes, tires, filters, valve ajustments (which I am proud to say I have down to 20 minutes and dont remove the rads), and no problems other than I like to go too fast....the 450 motor is the same one that been around for quite a few years.

all the sxf's are based on the 06 sxf engine, they will be fine.

For other folks new to KTM's do your oil and valves on a regular basis and it will run forever.

all the sxf's are based on the 06 sxf engine, they will be fine.

That was a 250 without E-Start. These are much larger, bigger crank, more weight, different bike. KTM does NOT put out junk, and most will never have a problem. I bet they will be bullet proof, but why be a guinnea pig on a first year bike? I would give my left nut for one, don't get me wrong, but at the same time I wonder what they will need to recall or fix... Plus Electric Start Only is rather scary if you trail ride... "what if" always comes to mind. I wish they had a kick starter on there, but, perhaps they have some super battery on there to alleviate all battery problems.

actually what i meant was, the SOHC 450sx is already handful to ride

i don't see myself able to rev it and hold it wide open in the red zone (for DOHC)

i would ride it using the torque rather than rev it.

The new 450 has an even shorter stroke than the previous 450sx. Talk about fast revving :thumbsup: .

With talking with the boys at HT-Racing, they are telling me the lower ends are so much stronger (250s) than the jap bikes, this makes it poss for them to build those bored/stroked engine run so well and last. You know KTM will put that strength into the lower ends on the new big bores, they want a piece of that pie they have never had...As far as electric start goes, batteries are going to be maintenance of the future. Luckily for us old guys that have knees so bad we can still ride...

I really want a 505 but don't know about waiting untill march. You guys that have doposits down what kind of price? Anyone know the bore&stroke of the 505?

Jack

With talking with the boys at HT-Racing, they are telling me the lower ends are so much stronger (250s) than the jap bikes, this makes it poss for them to build those bored/stroked engine run so well and last. You know KTM will put that strength into the lower ends on the new big bores, they want a piece of that pie they have never had...As far as electric start goes, batteries are going to be maintenance of the future. Luckily for us old guys that have knees so bad we can still ride...

It's pretty amazing when you see the parts side by side. When I dropped off my bike, Bill had a crf250 lower end to compare with the sxf he was putting a kit on. The KTM parts looked they were out of a 450 compared to the Honda.

David Volks point is any new product is prone to have a glitch, new model bug, certain KTM is doing all the can to avoid this. The 250SXF came off better then I expected but several had a cam chain tensioner fiasco. (I suspect that went back to assmbly line problem). The more units the manufactoror makes the better sorted they become!

Obgod said

"all the sxf's are based on the 06 sxf engine, they will be fine."

They probulbly will be but the 450 is quite a bit new from the 250, even the cam chain is on the opposite side and from what I have gathered I do not beleive it will be availabe as a 6 speed. I think its 4 speed in SX 5 speed and SMR and that is it for 07?? Then maybe a 450XC 5 speed later? who knows, I am still not convinced that this engine will replace the RFS as a do it all Enduro/Trail/Cross Country engine. I see too many riders prefering the long stroke style of the RFS and its more tractable power inplace of max power.