Sign in to follow this  

Deep water

I managed to dump my 06 KX250F in water at the weekend, it didn't go right under but pretty deep. I dried the airfilter cleaned out the carb but I noticed water has even got into the engine oil - how did that happen?

i'll flush and change the engine oil but anything else I should do?

What are all the breather tubes for on the carb - could they suck up water? Will the bike run if the tube ends are under water?

Nar the engine breather tube sucks air as well as blow. Dump your oil, flush the box out with 50-50 diesel to oil, then put all oil in, run it for 10 min or somthn, go for a short ride, dump it again and should be right.

My KX125 had rooted impella seals and the coolent was getting into the gearbox, i changed em, ran it for 2 or 3 minutes 50-50 diesel to oil, drained it and she was perfect, i don think you should run a 250f with that mix as it lubes the piston aswell, not sure, anyone else rekn its ok?

Yup the engine breather vents the crankcase pressure to the atmosphere, unfortunately it vents the H2O to the oil if you try to use it as a submarine.

I wouldn't run it with the diesel/oil mix, but to use it to simply flush the system out won't harm anything, but you may have to flush more motor oil through to remove the diesel residue. I'd buy some cheap oil to use for flushing, and change the filter, or use this as an excuse to get a SS Scots reusable, then once the sytem clears out, replace with your regular oil of choice.

The carb breathers are overflows for things such as bowl overflow, drains and other venting needs.

Now might be a good time to tear the linkage down and clean and regrease the bearings-water may have forced its way in there and begin to cause rust.

I wouldn't run it with the diesel/oil mix, but to use it to simply flush the system out won't harm anything, but you may have to flush more motor oil through to remove the diesel residue. I'd buy some cheap oil to use for flushing, and change the filter, or use this as an excuse to get a SS Scots reusable, then once the sytem clears out, replace with your regular oil of choice.

Now might be a good time to tear the linkage down and clean and regrease the bearings-water may have forced its way in there and begin to cause rust.

Yeh agreed :thumbsup:

Like i said, considering the oil lubes so much more on a 4 stroke running it with diesel and oil may not be good for it, just slosh it around in the box, dump it, put shitty sheap oil in, go for a short ride around the yard, dump it, and put your favourite oil in and it should be sweet. :ride:

I would say that, what probably happened was watter probably got in the breather hole in the side of the head. I've done that before, just changed the oil when i got home.

I would say that, what probably happened was watter probably got in the breather hole in the side of the head. I've done that before, just changed the oil when i got home.

LOL!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Do you think that goes into the oil system??

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Just an update folks, I cleaned out the oil filter, drained the oil, flushed it once, rode it, flushed it twice, rode it, then filled it with good grade oil. All seems OK now. I have also rerouted the breather tube as I have to go through a few rivers on my local ride.

Thanks for the help.

That Just Happened To Me...i Didn't Dumpit In Deep Water But I Did Get Stuck And I Shut It Off To Get It Pulled Out..definately Sucked Some Water And It Was Only As High As The Skid Plate..dumped Oil Twice..seems Ok But My Oil Window Has Condesation In It..is That 2 Paned?..oil Isn't Creamy Any More But Seeing That Condensation Freaks Me Out..

I drove my 04 kx 250 f in deep water and managed to do the same thing i had to kick the piston free. I bought some cheap oil and some seafoam from auto zone. the seafoam will pull the water out of the oil i put i think 1oz in with my oil and 1oz in the gas tank to clear out the carb of any moustire ran the bike for like 10 mins with out a fiter in there didnt want to ruin one. drained the oil and let it sit overnight with the plugs open to drian it real good. next mourning killed her up new filter and she was good to go. look for seafoam at auto zone its made for these problems

Also got ride of the conisation on the window