Sign in to follow this  

ford powerstroke diesel?

I am considering trading in my 200 ford f-150 for a superduty ford diesel.Seeing the cost of gas always rising and diesel is usually not far off is really got me thinking.I have a 15 minute commute to work everyday,i know i know thats not very far but it does add up.I would like to no if anybody owns one of these trucks and how do they like it.What kind of mileage are they getting and have they had any problems.I have rode in a superduty and was really impressed by the power and smooth ride. :thumbsup:

A 15 minute commute that is probably around 15 miles will take many years to pay off the additional costs of a F Super Duty with the Diesel. Get a commuter car that gets good mpg and keep the F150 for hauling your bike if all you're looking for is better mileage-you'll save enough on the insurance of a new truck, increased maint costs, licensing and the higher payments alone to keep your older truck and pay for the extra car. :thumbsup:

If you're looking for better towing and heavier load capacity, then a Powerstroke may fit your needs nicely. Unladen mileage will vary depending on options and your driving habits, ranging from 16-22 mpg. Stay away from the first year 6.0's, they had many PCM issues and some internal engine failures, the last year of the 7.3 was the best year, but thats how it always goes, once they get something all figured out, discontinue it.

Once you get past the first year of the 6.0's their reliability improved greatly and they have become a solid, strong engine.

A diesel needs to get hot before it starts to get good fuel mileage. If your commute is just 15 minutes then your MPG will probably be worse than you are getting with your gasser.

It would also be recommended to sit and let the engine idle after you arrive at work for about 2-4 minutes (depending on the ambiant air temp) to let the turbo cool down.

I too also only have a 15 minute commute. My F250 sits in the driveway while my 36mpg Civic takes me to work.

If your only reason for trading is better mileage, save your money. Diesel here in MI is typically more expensive than 87 octane so the increased fuel mileage is offset by more expensive fuel and higher service costs (they take 15 quarts of oil and an expensive oil filter, plus more frequent fuel filter changes). I've got a buddy that swears his Powerstroke gets 20 MPG unloaded. That compares to my V10 SuperDuty's 14 MPG unloaded (when I'm behaving). He's getting better milage but he has kicked in an extra $6000 up front for the diesel option (and TorqShift transmission), pays the same or more for fuel, and has $70 oil changes.

If you're getting the SuperDuty because it's the baddest truck on the road, GO FOR IT :thumbsup:

If your only reason for trading is better mileage, save your money. Diesel here in MI is typically more expensive than 87 octane so the increased fuel mileage is offset by more expensive fuel and higher service costs (they take 15 quarts of oil and an expensive oil filter, plus more frequent fuel filter changes). I've got a buddy that swears his Powerstroke gets 20 MPG unloaded. That compares to my V10 SuperDuty's 14 MPG unloaded (when I'm behaving). He's getting better milage but he has kicked in an extra $6000 up front for the diesel option (and TorqShift transmission), pays the same or more for fuel, and has $70 oil changes.

If you're getting the SuperDuty because it's the baddest truck on the road, GO FOR IT :thumbsup:

i pay $50 for oil changes. and go twice as long between them then gas. so it equals out. my psd got 22mpg last tank and keeps getting better the more miles i put on it. yes that was hand calculated. here diesel fuel is 3.09 gal vs 3.19 for 87. and don't forget psd can run bio diesel. that will save you money real quick.

In NY where I live, I have to shop around to find diesel cheaper than regular gas. It's usually slightly higher. I have a 99 and get between 14 - 18 mpg, but I have not really done any mods to improve it. I'm not sure I'm really saving money, but I wanted the diesel so I'm happy. If I can get into Biodiesel (one more project on the list) then I'll really save alot.

A diesel needs to get hot before it starts to get good fuel mileage. If your commute is just 15 minutes then your MPG will probably be worse than you are getting with your gasser.

Not entirely true.

I upgraded from a 1998 F-150 with the 5.4 l gas motor to a 2003 F-250 with the 6.0 l diesel.

I have a 4 mile commute to work each day and the truck is used about 90% of the time for just that commute. The rest of the time it pulls my WW FS3000.

The diesel averages about 2 miles per gallon better on the commute to work than the gas powered F150 did. On the highway the diesel gets between 17 and 22 MPG depending upon speed, wind, elevation changes, etc., but most of the time I see around 19.5 to 20 MPG.

The F-150 usually got about 15 to 16 MPG on the highway as a max. Towing a little trailer with two sportbikes on it and one bike in the bed between Carlsbad and Willow Springs it would get about 14.5 MPG compared to the diesels 19 MPG.

Can't compare a truely loaded figure because the F-150 simply wouldn't pull my toyhauler other than perhaps to move it to a new spot in the driveway.

All that said, I wouldn't upgrade to the F-250/diesel unless you had some towing to do because as others have pointed out, the payback period for savings in fuel with that kind of driving pattern just isn't practical.

As far as ride goes, I think the F-250 is actually better than my F-150 was and the truck is much roomier - Crew Cab versus a 3-door on the F-150.

There's also no comparison on the power output. Even totally stock the F-250 diesel blows the F-150 away. Spend $450 on a tuner (Superchips, etc.) and it really wakes the truck up.

Turned two 16.0 s 1/4 mile passes at 83 MPH at Carlsbad before they tore it down with the truck in stock tune. Then reflashed the truck with the High Performance tune and turned two 14.33 s 1/4 mile passes at 93 MPH.

And the fuel mileage actually improves a bit with the tuner installed if you drive it normally :thumbsup:

One other very important feature for towing is that the F-250 has way way better brakes than a circa 1998 F-150, maybe the newer ones are better, I don't know.

It would also be recommended to sit and let the engine idle after you arrive at work for about 2-4 minutes (depending on the ambiant air temp) to let the turbo cool down.

I too also only have a 15 minute commute. My F250 sits in the driveway while my 36mpg Civic takes me to work.

That's if you've been pulling a load and really have the turbo heated up.

I have a X-Monitor pyro gauge with the Cool Engine Shutdown (CES) option. I've preset the unit to turn the engine off at 350 deg F (probe is preturbo in the exhaust manifold).

The truck rarely runs after pulling up to a parking space. Usually decelerating for stoplights and turns and clanking into the parking lot is enough time for the engine to cool down to a safe temp.

If you were to pull straight in off the road and park as I do after a mile long Grade 10+ hill climb to my driveway a block off the main road then yes the truck will idle for as much as 30 seconds - especially if I had the A/C running.

Even after pulling the trailer loaded to an 18,000 lbs GCWR (truck and trailer) up any number of California mountain roads and then pulling into a fuel station I find that by the time I've slowed down to make the turn off the highway and clanked on in to the pumps, the truck is nearly ready to turn off. Two minutes is about the longest it has ever run after a stop.

The unit does have a timer that will kill the engine after 5 minutes if for some reason you didn't reach your temp preset. It will also kill it if the brake pedel is depressed.

Here in CA, diesel was higher than premium for a good part of the last year but it is now back down to less than regular where it belongs :thumbsup:

Husky;

I should have said "A diesel needs to get hot before it starts to get good fuel mileage. If your commute is just 15 minutes then your MPG will probably be about the same as you are getting with your gasser"

I am basing this from a 00' F150 5.4L to a 04' F350 6.0L back to a 05' F150 5.4L. Just my experience here. :thumbsup:

I do agree with you that driving the diesel solely on short trips doesn't give it enough time to warm up to the point where it is going to get its best mileage.

My personal experience on the short trips seems to be a bit better than what you experienced with me seeing a couple MPG improvement over the gas motor. Maybe my 5.4 l in the F-150 was less frugal than yours :thumbsup:

I can say that I do see a bit more diesel in the oil as reported by Blackstone on my oil analysis report than the average. Not bad, but it is certainly due to the short trips and the motor not getting fully warmed up.

When I've had an oil change with some longer drives and trailer pulling thrown in, the fuel in oil percentage goes down.

It's a super truck and I'd buy another one in a minute if the need was there for the towing or hauling capacity, but for short commutes I'd look for something more economical.