Sign in to follow this  

spokes

ok i broke a spoke on the weekend and i picked one up today. they were all very loose and i tightened them up about a little more that hand tight. and was wondering how tight they are ment to be :thumbsup:

ok i broke a spoke on the weekend and i picked one up today. they were all very loose and i tightened them up about a little more that hand tight. and was wondering how tight they are ment to be :thumbsup:
They need to be tight - but to describe just how tight is sort of a tough one to do with a key board.

First off, you need to make sure that you keep the wheels true when tightening the spokes. There's a pattern to follow:

Start at either the rim lock or the valve stem and tighten the spoke 1/2 turn. Skip two spokes, tighten the next spoke 1/2 turn. Repeat this pattern until you end up at the original spoke.

As far as how tight to get them - find a wheel with tight spokes and thump one of the spokes with something metal - you'll hear a tone. (it will be different for front and rear). Work around the wheel, tightening the spokes until you get a similar tone from each spoke.

Oh - spray each nipple with a bit of 6 in 1 oil or some sort of penetrating oil before you start tightening them up. You want to make sure the threads on the spokes and the part of the nipple that's inside the rim are lubed.

This will give you an idea of the pattern and some more info too: Rim Lacing

My spokes at the rim lock and air valve always feel like there's rubber pushing them on the other side. :thumbsup: What's up with that?

good to see ya, k-fab. Haven't read any of your posts in a while.

My spokes at the rim lock and air valve always feel like there's rubber pushing them on the other side. :ride: What's up with that?
Uhm... Maybe because there's rubber under them? Actually, I have no clue, but it sounded like a good response. (at least from a smart ass point of view - which would be mine. :ride: )
good to see ya, k-fab. Haven't read any of your posts in a while.
Thanks. I haven't been around much - between being broken and working on other projects, my focus has been else where.

I haven't had a chance to do much full sized bike riding since Feb - Glamis on the 450R was the last ride up to three weekends ago.

I tore the bike down to the frame for it's yearly overhaul, sent the top end off to Ron Hamp to have the valves replaced, sent the suspension out to TBT also.

Broke my wrist the end of April playing on a 50 - just as I get my 450 stuff back and riding time was starting up. DOH!!! :ride::crazy::thumbsup::ride:

Spent most of June out in Phoenix working on my new desert race car - and got in a few desert rides on the 450X - man it felt good to ride again, but wow, weak wrist.

I finally got a chance to throw a leg back over the 450R three weekends ago. Track sucks, but I was back on the bike! :cry:

First time out was a trip - had to get used to things again, suspension was set up way too soft. Following weekend I started playing with the clickers and was comfy on the bike again. Last Sunday was just plain good. I really missed the MX track!!