Sign in to follow this  

How to .....Chain Maintenance question?

OK, a buddy of mine says he only uses WD-40 to lube his chain. I remove my chain after every ride brush it off with a brass brush and soak it in Gear Oil until I'm ready to ride again.

How do you maintain your chain?

I don't think WD-40 is the way to go (of course I could be wrong), what are your thoughts on WD-40?

:thumbsup:

I use only chain wax on my O-ring chains, on non O-ring chains I use PJ1 chain lube and clean them with a chain scrubber when the buildup becomes excessive, then apply a light coat of chain lube. I only use WD-40 after a washing to prevent rust.

This has been beat to death BUT wd is not a very good lube! Really it sux as a lube it is however good at removing moisture!We always wash the bike then spray wd on it,wait a while then some type of chain lube! I'm sure another member will chime and tell us what is right and what is not! :thumbsup:

My complaint about WD is it attracts dirt. Chain wax does a good job for me.

I clean my chain with a brush after every ride. Sometimes I'll use WD-40 to clean it after soap and water. Then I use a good amount of chain lube and wipe the excess off with a rag so it doesn't spin off and create a mess. :thumbsup:

i spray gas all over the chain from a spray bottle then i scrub the chain with a brush then i take the chain off and put it in a bucket full of gas and then swoos h it around take it around and scrub it again then rinse it with water then hang it up and spray wd-40 all voer it then put it on the bike and spray wd 40 on it then wait next day and put chain lube on it

Wd40 is good stuff for preventing rust after you wash the bike, but chain lube is more suitable as a lube because it stays(sticks) on the chain longer.

i ride with a guy that says just regular engine oil works best as a chain lube. is this true?

i ride with a guy that says just regular engine oil works best as a chain lube. is this true?

It's definitely a good lube, but it flicks off and can't protect the chain if it's not there; that's why chain lube is sticky.

I use PJ1 to lube my chain, as for wax and all that goes...I have this Bel Ray 'Super Clean' lube that turns white and wax after you apply it, and I hate the stuff. Although any chain lube will work fine...As for cleaning, I don't have a O-Ring or X-Ring, so I just pressure wash it clean.

Ive heard that WD 40 will make chains fall apart and promotes chain stretching b/c its designed to free and loosen parts.

I use some stuff made by loctite for chains and gears, my dad gets it free from work, never use anything w/ "S-moly" in it. ITs like black paint and flings off and makes everythink sticky and black.

For those of you who fanatically maintain your chain: How long does it last?

My set of primary drive sprockets and RK X-ring chain is about 2 years old. I never clean it. I only lube it occasionally. I've adjusted it once. Its just now starting to show some wear. I've got a couple months more out of it.

People are going to do what they want to do to lube their bike. No amount of talking is going to get them to change their mind. You do what you want, let your buddy do what he does. End of story.

How do you maintain your chain?
Powerwash (carefully avoiding bearings, etc.) after every ride followed up with a coat of Pro Honda HP Chain Lube. It goes on thin, almost dries completely, is made for chains and doesn't become sticky. I'm pretty sure it's a re-labeled product, just don't know which....

i spray gas all over the chain from a spray bottle then i scrub the chain with a brush then i take the chain off and put it in a bucket full of gas and then swoos h it around take it around and scrub it again then rinse it with water then hang it up and spray wd-40 all voer it then put it on the bike and spray wd 40 on it then wait next day and put chain lube on it

Are you kidding?

Rinsing something that has been soaked in gas doesn't do anything except create a mess :thumbsup:

People are going to do what they want to do to lube their bike. No amount of talking is going to get them to change their mind. You do what you want, let your buddy do what he does. End of story.

Is this only true for chain lube, 'cause there's a lot of other discussions going on, there's people with different ideas, giving advice and opinions etc, you'd better go let them know they're wasting their time! Maybe TT should close down? Actually, come to think of it, I've learned a lot on TT, so maybe it is worth discussing stuff, even if it is just for my benefit? :thumbsup:

K so heres my confusion...i've got a dirty greasy lubed up chain becuase i just came back from a ride. If i dont want to take my chain off to soak it in gasoline whats the best way to get rid of all the grease and dirt? Would a brush thats being dipped in gasoline and scraping the chain damage it in any way?? I've read this whole thread and it seems like with everyone elses opinions put together this way would be the best...IMO Any opinions?

K so heres my confusion...i've got a dirty greasy lubed up chain becuase i just came back from a ride. If i dont want to take my chain off to soak it in gasoline whats the best way to get rid of all the grease and dirt? Would a brush thats being dipped in gasoline and scraping the chain damage it in any way?? I've read this whole thread and it seems like with everyone elses opinions put together this way would be the best...IMO Any opinions?

IIRC gas and o-rings do not mix. Kerosene on the other hand is compatible and will clean up the crap on the chain.

The problem I face is riding in mud/wet conditions. Trailer the bike and drive 3 hours.....surface rust seems to already be building by the time I get home. :thumbsup:

As stated by Sundog: o-ring chains and gas dont mix, it will accelerate wear on the o-rings and make them break down. If you want to do that, use kerosene, it is safe for o-ring chains so you will get a much longer life out of your chain. I dont have any recommendations for lube seeing as though I'm looking for a good chain lube myself. Dont know how much this helps but its all I have to contribute right now. :thumbsup:

Just re-read your post Sundog, use some WD-40 before you put your bike on the trailer. The WD-40 will help prevent the rust you are experiencing, it should help displace the water, hence the name; WD- water displacement.